• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dorot frozen herb cubes at Costco

JBailey

Over the weekend, I purchased a tray of frozen cubes of garlic and herbs made my Dorot. The sampler I purchased from Costco had a sampling of what I believe are four of their products. They look useful, but I have not had a chance to try them. Has anyone used them?

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

i use the garlic cubes constantly. a cube =a clove. so simple, and a really true garlic flavor. (there is a small amount of citric acid and soy oil, but much less than in the jarred stuff.) purists will disagree, but i can't tell the difference between this and fresh in my recipes.

the ginger (not sure if they include that in the costco 4 pack) is also very convenient. instead of clattering through the fridge shelves to unearth the jar where i've sashed the sherry-covered stub of ginger (my preferred method of preservation), i love the quick-cook aspect of this convenience ingredient. i still mince or grate fresh when the true bite and sizzle of fresh ginger is required.

the soft herbs--cilantro, basil and (shudder) parsley, are, in my opinion, hopeless, and good only for flecking one's teeth with green.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Trader Joes has a few of these. I use the garlic, and the basil. for the basil I put a cube in olive oil and let thaw and then use that as basil oil.

its not like fresh basil, but ok in the winter.

the cilantro I didnt care for at all

didnt see the ginger. i freeze whole ginger, and then useing a microplane I plane a little of the fz ginger off to get to the 'fresh new flesh' and grate that into whatever needs ginger.

also no need to peel the ginger and it keeps for ever, making sure you get rid of the first mm.

I tried two types that I picked up at TJ's, one of which was basil and I don't recall the other- m aybe parsley?

I was not satisfied with the flavors, but that's part of the price one pays for convenience. It's up to the individual to determine the degree of compromise that's acceptable.

... Shel

I'll admit I've tried some of the frozen herb pastes, the convienience of it looked great. Once opened and tried, I was reminded again about fools and their money.

Garlic is cheap enough to buy whole, a head will last at least a week on the counter, and is very little effort to crack off a clove and cut or use a garlic press.

I used to buy dill by the bunch, use a bit, let the rest go to waste in my fridge untill I smartened up. Now I buy a bunch, chop it all up, roll it into cling film "screws" and freeze it. No waste, no additiives, no wierd flavours. Next time I buy basil, I'll try the same, although it will probably go black, why don't I just make pesto?