• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Pancreas

Jan Virtanen

I just picked my meats from my local organic farm, they included me with some beef pancreas and

lamb lungs. What would be the best culinary application. Especially the pancreas.

I am nose to tail eater but no clue how i just prepare this strange looking organ.

Any tips?

Edited by Jan Virtanen (log)

I think the pancreas (and thymus) are called "sweetbreads," while the lungs are called "lights."

For the sweetbreads, you can clean, blanch, press, butterfly, coat in a thin layer of flour and panfry in a little butter. Dice and fry again and it's one of my favorite taco fillings.

I've eaten lights but I've never made them at home.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

For sweetbreads:

- remove all gristle and soak in water for a few hours to purge all blood.

- blanch the sweetbreads by starting in cold water. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, remove and shock in ice water. The purpose of this step is to disgorge more blood.

- dry the sweetbreads thoroughly then press for a few hours in the fridge to get rid of excess water. This will firm up the sweetbreads and concentrate the flavour.

Now prepare the sweetbreads as you like. Breadcrumbs, flour, simply panfried ... it's up to you :) Just remember it is very rich, and a deceptively small serving size will fill you up very quickly.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Strictly speaking, only the thymus is called sweetbreads. But, since the pancreas is similar, it is usually sold as sweetbreads. I like to blanch it, take the membrane off, cut them up and make a very rich stew with mushrooms. I haven't made them in years.

Only had lungs once in a heart and lung stew.