• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian kids favorite dish

Suvir Saran

Monica,

Does your son have a favorite dish?

Is it Indian or another?

What was yours as a kid?  Do you know?

What do you think of when you cook with kids in mind?

My son, who is three now, loves butter chicken. His favorite vegetable is potatoes. A typical three year old, I think he can also live on Pizza!! When I was growing up, I think I was the worst eater.. I could live on Chaats!! Now I am old and try to eat better :biggrin:

When I cook for my son, i try to provide a variety, I never force him to eat, just encourage him to try different things. It is not easy with a three year old. I must remember to post an article I wrote on the trials and tribulations of feeding a preschooler. Making up stories works, for example did you know that Barney Loves Bhindi (OKRA) or that Tweety is Crazy for tandoori...

We have loads of kids over all the time, and I try to keep the dishes simple and familiar --- I will always add one or two they have not seen and then explain to them what it is.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Making up stories works

That's a very special memory for me - my Mom did that and I dedicated my Master's thesis to the memory of one of those stories. I know she wrote it down; unfortunately, I don't have a copy. Had to do with fluffy mashed potatoes!

Making up stories works

That's a very special memory for me - my Mom did that and I dedicated my Master's thesis to the memory of one of those stories. I know she wrote it down; unfortunately, I don't have a copy. Had to do with fluffy mashed potatoes!

I smiled when I read your post, I know exactly how you feel. I knew of fairies and princesses who loved to eat their rice, when I was a kid! And did you know that chewing gum can make the tooth fairy go away forever!!

It is interesting that we have gone to dinner parties and folks have a separate menu for the kids, I have the same food for everyone and perhaps one or two additional milder dishes for the kids. they seem to enjoy it.. even if its pizza, i will make a simple one at home.. so much more healthier. I guess if I were doing Cavier, I might have something different for the kids :raz:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Here is the piece I wrote:

The Joys and Tribulations of Feeding a Preschooler

I have decided to finally admit this – Feeding my preschooler nutritious meals has been the hardest thing I have ever had to learn how to do! If it does not have cheese on it or come in the shape of a triangle, he does not want anything to do with it. After many trials and tribulations, I have finally been able to create some recipes that we can all eat as a family and that have a little more nutrition than a bowl of cheese crackers.

I had to come up with names of characters or friends and family and pretend they loved certain foods. Now we even have a fun time naming a dish together

I would be happy to provide anyone with these fun treats for tiny tummies!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

My Mom also served the kids the same food as the adults - though she would let us have something else when she had her liver and onion fix! She would make me non-spicy enchiladas (her recipe had too many almost raw onions for my young taste.) Also suggested to us that we might want something else when she fixed lobster, but we never let her get away with that one!

My son, who is three now, loves butter chicken.

I love butter chicken, too, and it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it that if not too spicy hot, this would be a warm and soothing dish for a kid.

Now I want to make some and invite some kids over.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I love butter chicken, too, and it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it that if not too spicy hot, this would be a warm and soothing dish for a kid.

I have to say this is one dish that has been a hit with all the kids that come over when we have dinner parties. The creamy sauce with steamed rice and a nice salad.. I am happy to report the kids dont complain. The best part of all this is when my son asks me to make something.. makes me feel special.. kind of silly I guess. I also different types of Raita's or Yogurt based sides for him and he really seems to be open to try different things.. yogurt is familiar and it makes it okay I guess....

Since I work full time as a E Learning consultant and food writing is a (passionate) hobby, I have to admit that I run short on time on many days. In the kitchen I like to make things that are not too time consuming. My little one loves Tandoori chicken (I make it in the oven) ... so I marinate chicken on Sunday, do grilled chicken on Monday (lots of it), on Tuesday I make butter chicken with the leftover tandoori chicken and serve it with rice.. One marinade two dinners....

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

If made traditionally, this is not a very spicy dish.

And that is the very reason it is agreeable to most people.

Have you tried the recipe in our chicken thread? You can find the link in the Indian cooking for dummies thread pinned above. Try it, you may be surprised as to how easy it really is to prepare. And how flavorful it is without being HOT. :smile: