• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris in January for my husband's 60th birthday

Catherine Iino

My husband and I will be in Paris for several days in January. His birthday is on the eighth, which is a Sunday. So far, Le Cinq looks to me like the best bet for that day, but the latest comments on the Le Cinq topic here give me pause. The most recent comments are, however, almost two years old. Any updates? Or recommendations for better places, either for that night or one of the others? We're willing to pay for fabulous food. We tend to prefer places somewhat less molecular, for lack of a better word, than Pierre Gagnaire. I do plan to go to L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, but stools at a counter don't seem right for the big birthday dinner. Also, does anyone have a current view on Le Chateaubriand? I see it's listed on the 50 Best Restaurants site.

I'm eager for any advice. Thanks!

I had a cracking Sunday lunch at Le Cinq back in June, easily one of my dining highlights of the last few years. As always, it depends on what you're looking for, but I found it "modern" (in the sense of not being heavy and with the occasional Asian influence for example) without going down the road of molecular at all. With the caveat that I haven't eaten in any of the Parisian 3 stars, I'd strongly recommend it.

For the Sunday options ... there is no better option than Pierre Gagnaire to splurge

Keep your mind opens and let them know in advance about your husband's birthday party

I'm sure they will make something special for you

Not forgetting that it will be black truffle season and they might have some "Game stuffs" left

All the best for the Paris experience in January

About Pre Catelan, I've never been there

But the general perception is that it's not the best among the 3-star in Paris

The dishes are very pleasing to the eyes, but not so much in the palate