• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delorenzo's Tomato Pies in Trenton will close

Jeff L

I've been predicting that this dreaded day would come for years and so it has. Story here: http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/12/famed_delorenzos_hudson_street.html

As of January 15, 2012, the venerable Hudson Street tomato pie icon will close it's doors. Lots of reasons I suppose but not the least of which is that both owners are in their mid 60's and have been at this grind for a very long time. Also, when was the last time you ventured into the burg in Trenton? It's a lot different these days. One good part to this story is of course their Robbinsville location continues to flourish under The Amico's son Sam's stewardship and word is they are scouting a place in Pennsylvania to open in a year or so. I have heard they are looking at Newtown Bucks County which would please me no end as I live in the next town over.

So you now have less than 4 weeks to get over there and bid them a proper farewell

• 5 weeks later...

DSC00406.jpg

This photo (sorry for my daughters poor camera pic) only tells part of the story for the next to last night at Delorenzo's on Hudson Street. It was taken at 4:45 pm on Saturday. Our pies came to the table at 9:20! Many people were in line from 2:30 and they opened at 4:00. All this for a truly perfect tomato pie. It was worth it because we felt like we were a little part of Trenton history, another chapter closed now.