• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Food Blog: Lior (2011)

Lior

Just popped in before shabbat dinner. We have fish-Denise (have to look this up in English) and a bass for me, roast potatoes, carrot soup ,mushroom soup and a red and white cabbage salad. I wanted to make roasted vegetables as well, but my oven is too full. I always make too much anyway.

Nikkib-thank you ever so much!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Ladybug, I honestly thought of you when I read that on the menu!!!! :laugh: YOu need to go to the fresh market for this stuff-ask around-you want me to find out for you?

Lovely weekend to all, I know many of you are celebrating christmas-so merry christmas! SHabbat shalom!

Yes - I was born in Ukraine but spent a fair bit of childhood in Georgia due to having my mother's family there and also the whole Chernobyl thing. It seems that goggle-moggle was no stranger there, too!

The other thing that my Mother tried on me was a horrible elixir of onion juice and honey. Ugh.

Yes, he did heat it.It was quite hot. SO now we are post dinner. It was challenging taking photos and cooking. I was a bit time limited as my il laws were arriving at 7:30pm and they get tired rather quickly so I don't like them having to wait too long for dinner. Funny thing is that my MIL brough that Lachuch (2 gutteral sounds here...), that Yemenite bread similar in looks to Enjera!! I made mushroom and carrot soup, my son doesn't like mushrooms... fish, red and white cabbage salad and roasted potatoes I think I said this all earlier :laugh:)

I used my thermomix for the soups. I documented the thermo during the carrot soup-cant recall exactly when-mad rush...

Getting mushroom soup made:

mushroom soup1.jpg

mushroom soup2.jpg

mushroom soup3.jpg

mushroom soup4.jpg

It was a bit too thick but delicious.

Believe me it is delicious.

Now I cut vegetables for the fish

fish1.jpg

stuff with vegies

fish4.jpg

decorate with vegies

fish2.jpg

for those who hate seeing heads and eyes (!)

fish3.jpg

My bass

bass.jpg

oil. lemon juice,paprika, garlic and parsley

fish5.jpg

In the preheated oven 200C for 30-35 mins.

fish done.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

While fish is waiting in the micro so the cats dont get it, the potatoes are roasting, the soups are made, I give the fish trays to the animals tolick to the very last drop. Two cats missed out on the treat somehow and two got extra! WHile they lap it up I make the salad.

cats.jpg

dog.jpg

carrot salad1.jpg

carrot salad2.jpg

The beans sat all night (good for me I remembered!) then I boiled them and threw out the water. I then added new water and cooked for about 2 hours till soft. I keep the water for use later and for cooking soups...

humus1.jpg

Then I thermomixed the garlic

humus garlic.jpg

humus garlic chopped.jpg

I add a bit of the humus water to the garlic

humus milk garlic.jpg

Then I add the beans and more water and grind well, adding more water until I get the right consistency. I add at least 1/2 cuplemon juice. cumin,salt pepper and some olive oil. Then about 300g tehina paste. Blend again, put in a jar,decorate and keep in fridge.

humus finished.jpg

Although we went out forlunch to a sushi bar, and I forgot the camera, I still made food as the kids take it home for the week,if you recall, this is Saturday routine!

I made chicken breast in silan sauce with some chili

breasts1.jpg

breasts2.jpg

breasts done.jpg

chicken on the range with tamari,soy and spices-nothing super fancy.

chicken1.jpg

chicken2.jpg

chicken3.jpg

chicken done.jpg

I usually make rice this way, but every time I use different spices and flavors. Today I used vegetable broth with the soup paste as it was nearly finished anyway.

Fist I fry the rice in some olive oil untill most grains turn white, stirring most of the time.

rice1.jpg

Then I added in the soup paste, mixed with a bit of that hot humus water from cooking the beans.

rice with soup paste and water.jpg

Then I add the rest of the water or here,humus water(!) and some onion pieces for flavor.

rice with water and onion.jpg

rice done.jpg

Well tonight I made Malaawach (gutteral at the end!) This is a yemenite food. It is the same dough used for making Jachnun, which is also a yemenite doughr rolled like a croissant, and slowly baked on a low temp in a closed pot all night. It turns a rich brown and is very tasty. I will put a picture of Jachnun ,but I did not make it recently,it is an older photo. Malaawach is made into a round flat shape and is fried in butter on both sides. It puffs a bit and has thin layers of dough inside. It is usually eaten with grated tomatoes and some spicy sauce.

Malaawach:

sat supper 1.jpg

sat supper 3.jpg

see the layers a bit:

sat supper 4.jpg