• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Food Blog: Lior (2011)

Lior

Thank you for the stock paste recipe. I do not have a Thermomix and am not all that familiar with them. They add a element of heat above and beyond a blender? Hhmm- wonder how I could adapt it.

those are the most beautiful mendiants i have ever seen...When i was living at home i would always get a box of them for christmas - this year your images will have to suffice!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

LAst night we lit the first candle and said the prayers. and sang Chanukah songs. I made levivot:

grate 4-6 potatoes (best by hand with a traditonal grater)(you can replace some of the potatoes with zucchini)

in handfuls, squeeze out the liquid. IN any case the re will always be more liquid,which sits at the bottom of the bowl-but try to anyway!)

grate an onion and also squeeze out liquid -your eyes will burn so I close them while grating and squeezing. It always amazes me how the fingers know how to do this while grating!

beat two-three eggs. Add salt pepper, a tablespoon or two of breadcrumbs and a teaspoon of sugar to the potatoes. I like to fry the onions first but you don't have to. Mix everything up.

Heat oil in a frying pan-not too much, not too little and place tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil. Flatten and fry on both sides. Place on paper towel and cover with paper towel to absorb extra oil. Eat and enjoy. We eat them plain with some salt and sometines put a spreadable white cheese- kind of like a 5% (imagine) philly cream cheese type of cheese. This cheese is also a staple here like cottage.

pictures will follow.

Edited by Lior (log)

hand grate the potatoes

levivot1.jpg

beat two to three eggs depending on number of potatoes ("apples of the ground/earth")

levivot 2.jpg

Fry grated and squeezed onions (wipe your tears)

levivot 3.jpg

add breadcrumbs to squeezed potatoes

levivot 4.jpg

add eggs and spices (you can add parsley as well-chopped well and fine)

levivot 5.jpg

mix

levivot 6.jpg

fry

levivot 7.jpg

levivot 8.jpg

Those chocolates are gorgeous! I love making mendiants...they're so beautiful and you can use whatever the best dried fruit and nuts you have on the top. And I seriously could eat potato pancakes until I pop...

Have you always been a vegetarian?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Genkinaonna-thank you! :wub: I have been a vegetarian since I was 12 years old. My daughters as well-from an even younger age,however, my eldest daughter has begun eating meat recently. The boys are all meat eaters. I have begun eating some fish- long annoying story with my food limitations, but some fish I can eat even though I was told to stay away...:wink:

I took some kitchen pictures...

My pantry is in better shape than ever before because of a food moth attack during one summer. It all began 2 years ago when my husband, my youngest daughter and I went to the states. We took her to Disneyworld etc. The boys were home from traveling and university. The pantry was attacked by moths and the boys decided to just close the door to the pantry so that they don't fly all over the house. Mom will take care of it when she returns :angry: ! So we had a 2 year battle with the moths. No matter what I did, they came back. I still find one or two every week or so.

My cookbook shelf

cookbooks1.jpg

cookbooks2.jpg

levivot 7.jpg

Potato Latkes. My favorite of all time. First had them at my Bubbi's house when I was 7 years old.

We will be having them very soon here. Followed in a day or so by Luchen Kugel.

Heaven on earth. Oh, for a Montreal bagel to go with it all.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

your Bubbi. Do you think they know what our memories are of times spent with them? Those precious moments. I remember waking up early to bake with mine. We made babka and small ones-I cantrecall their name right now but surely it had lach on the end. I made her figure out the recipe as it was a completely granny type recipe. A pinchof this a handful of that, if there is no milk replace with this or that... It took forever as I would remove what she had put in the bowl and measured it.

My cat just jumped onto the keyboard and typed all sorts of nonsense. Then she tried to catch the arrow from the mouse!! SOmetimes I sit here and two cats are strolling around the keyboard, the computer and me. Oh I love animals so!

Kitchen pictures. I dream of a huge american kitchen... Oh well!!

My pantry is a room that has so much stuff crammed into it, I should have made it bigger. I suppose there is never big enough.

pantry8pg.jpg

pantry9pg.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

Package arrived today from a dear friend of mine who lives in Germany. She sent cookies, some for my high school pupils, and some cookies and candies for us. It was fun seeing sweets from somewhere else and my son and daughter tried some right away!

package from Bee1.jpg

package from Bee2.jpg

package from Bee3.jpg

toffee.jpg

inside this long "bar" looking thing were smaller packets and inside the smaller packets were wrapped up bite sized fruit chews/toffees. The kids liked them

toffee1.jpg