• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Food Blog: Lior (2011)

Lior

well I guess that sums it up, leaving out the details, of course!

While my ganache in the hegehogs was hardening I fill these cups with whipped coffee Gianduja. Gianduja is a wonderful sweet. It is made from toasted hazelnuts and chocolate. It is refined to the point of being as smooth as chocolate. It originated in Italy. Gianduja was invented in Turin, in the Piedmont region of Italy which is the major hazelnut-producing area of Italy and where hazelnut confectionary is common. I was first taught about whipping Gianduja by Kerry Beal a few years back. Since then I have been whipping! SO here are the cups to be piped with whipped coffee Gianduja:

chocolate cups.jpg

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the hedgies and the filled cups. I dipped them in dark chocoalted and decorated with lines.

Very carefully, would be my answer.

Thought that applied to porcupines.

Kerry: I for real laughed out loud. Lior: from camels to chocolates,this is one incredible food trip.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh my heavens those hedgehogs have just blown my non-confectioner mind.

I'm curious, is the market for Christmas stuff from Israeli Arab Christians/Palestinian Christians?

Hi, I am back after a day of teaching. So as to the questions and comments: I totally agree to positive reinforcement for all species-cannot recall punishing my own kids. I rarely even yelled!! Christmassy molds are for those that do celebrate christmas. It is complicated here. We have new/old immigrants from all over the world and some have spouses that are christian, so these people do celebrate christmas. It is odd, because mostly they come from countries taht were communist so christmas was not really allowed but new years was and so on new years they would put up christmas trees etc. SO here many think that christmas is new year... Then yes, there are arab/palestinian christians who do celebrate christmas. There are also Greek orthodox and others. This is not a population that would buy directly from me by order in general,however, from here and there, there are those who are friends and this is a gift. I never ever sell christmas or hanuka chocolate to friends. If someone I do not know orders, I do sell, but always give extras as it is holiday season.

All holidays in Israel are a big deal, but not in the way it is in the states. Perhaps long ago in the states it was different. less commercial etc and so that is how it is here. Present giving is rarer than common, but money and parties and food giving is common. Kids have no school for the holidays. I will go to shops tomorrow and take photos so you can see how it is.

I realize, Kerry, that porcupines are even worse mating partners,but being a hedge male cannot be too safe either...

Breakfast was rushed a bit today as I have to be in class by 8am. My son, who is home at the moment as he is studyng for psychometric exams as a pre university entrance stage, and he made himself breakfast in a flash of lightening that I missed the opportunity to document! But my youngest, who is in 9th grade, got a breakfast that was documented.

I made her "shakshuka", which is basically an egg in a tomato kind of sauce.

chop up onions, tomatoes,red peppers and dried chili peppers

chop up vegies.jpg

Fry onions and some chili pepper in olive oil

olive oil.jpg

fry onions and chili.jpg

Add the red ppper and after a few minutes, add tomatoes

add peppers.jpg

add tomatoes.jpg

fry well-ish and then add tomato sauce- I use this (which is concentrated tomato paste and some crushed tomatoes with a few herbs

tomato paste.jpg

fry vegies.jpg

add sauce.jpg

add some water,not too much

add water.jpg

add egg or two

add egg.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

My daughter is a fussy girl and does not like the yolk runny, so I cook the shakshusha for a minute or two, then I cover the egg with a bit of sauce, and then with a lid for a minute

cook egg and sauce.jpg

cover with sauce

cover egg with sauce.jpg

cover with a lid.jpg

I forgot to add the photo of the spices I used in the sauce

add spices.jpg

Chop vegies

chop vegies1.jpg

chop vegies2.jpg

chop vegies3.jpg

Serve salad with a squeeze of lemon juice,salt and olive oil

chop and serve.jpg

up close

chop and serve2.jpg

breakfast is ready!!! COme down and eat before it gets cooold!!!

breakfast is ready.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

Ok, first of all, great start. Second, I love that you can actually buy sauce for shakshuka. Is this your standard way of making it or do you mix it up? (I like to roast poblano peppers and add garlic, which a Moroccan Israeli told me was not correct, but it is delicious. :rolleyes: )

Third, is there any chance you'll have time to show us some sufganiyot? I'd love to see some of the interesting flavours available. Todah!

About coffee. I usually don't drink black or mud coffee, and if I do, I add milk. This is horrible to some people (MILK??) akin to the american reaction to milk in tea...

My boys do drink it, but lately they like macchiato. Anyhow, here is how we make the mud coffee.

Finjan and a small glass of water

finjan and water.jpg

At least one pregnant teaspoon of coffee

teaspoon of black coffee.jpg

Sugar to taste, I dont like it sweet, most do...

sugar to taste.jpg

Put in finjan over flame and start heating it all up, stirring here and there

start to heat up.jpg

after a short time

start boiling2.jpg

start boiling3.jpg

When it all rises then it is ready and the aroma is fantastic!

start boiling4.jpg

pour into a small glass! I held it up so that you can kind of see the mud at the bottom (sediment...)

drink coffee.jpg

Post coffee

sediment.jpg

Wait. What? So there is no straining? The coffee looks like it's really super finely ground, though. Do you feel the grinds in your mouth when you drink it? Or is it more like sludge?

ETA: Something interesting--the newish Starbucks Via instant coffee lists its ingredients as "instant and microground coffee." So I guess they are doing something similar to this, really!

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

I will show sufganiot, of course! This is my standard way of making it. Often I will make my own tomato sauce, but it tastes quite similar in the end, to be honest. In the morning I need to be quick!

That's great. I wish I could get the sauce here -- I would make shakshuka more often. As it is now, it's a special treat (which I suppose can be a good thing).

Wait. What? So there is no straining? The coffee looks like it's really super finely ground, though. Do you feel the grinds in your mouth when you drink it? Or is it more like sludge?

ETA: Something interesting--the newish Starbucks Via instant coffee lists its ingredients as "instant and microground coffee." So I guess they are doing something similar to this, really!

That's essentially just Turkish coffee from the looks of the coffee and pot - the coffee is ground to a superfine powder, and the grounds settle at the bottom of the cup (best to wait a minute before the first sip). When you reach the end you definitely get the sludge, and it's best not to try to get the last drop!

How strange that in Israel the pot is called finjan. In Arabic, Turkish, and possibly Persian, finjan is the cup!

For Lior: in Israel, is it ground with cardamom? Very often in the Arab Levant it is, but never in Turkey.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

The coffee is as Hassouni described it-exactly. Funny about the finjan! I looked it up and it said that we mistakenly call the pot instead of the cup finjan. The pot is Jazba (?). But that is what it is called here, it seems by mistake... Lots of words here are taken from other languages and then misused in some way. A sweatshirt is called a "svetsher" - a sweatsuit is called a "trenning" (training...)An Applause car is an "apple house" :laugh: SO finjan isn't all that bad!! :wink:

Yes, very often it is with cardamom- the red packet is without, green packet with!We call cardamom-hel

Edited by Lior (log)

Well, back to chocolates. I wanted to show the hedgehogs filled with hazelnut milk and dark chocolate ganache:

hedgehogs filled with ganache.jpg

I need to "close" the bottoms of the hedgehog. It looks like the top of the mold, but it is actually the bottom. I use tempered chocolate at its highest temp while still keeping it in temper. If I take the temp too high, it will not be tempered and then it won't be shiny, hard and this is a sin!

hedgehogs closing.jpg

After pouring chocolate onto the mold, I kind os shake and wobble the chocolate along the mold so it runs as far as it can towards the bottom of the mold. If needed I add more chocolate. Then I give it a bang or two with the end of the utensil and then I swipe of the extra chocolate.

hedgehogs closing2.jpg

It is important to keep the molds as clean as possible!

keep mold clean.jpg

The coffee is as Hassouni described it-exactly. Funny about the finjan! I looked it up and it said that we mistakenly call the pot instead of the cup finjan. The pot is Jazba (?). But that is what it is called here, it seems by mistake... Lots of words here are taken from other languages and then misused in some way. A sweatshirt is called a "svetsher" - a sweatsuit is called a "trenning" (training...)An Applause car is an "apple house" :laugh: SO finjan isn't all that bad!! :wink:

Yes, very often it is with cardamom- the red packet is without, green packet with!We call cardamom-hel