• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Push pop desserts

JeanneCake

Everyone's always looking for something new and different for their special event; and I've seen these push pops at JB Prince; wondering if any of you have used them on your menu or had them at a party... what did you think? What did the guests think? what works best in them (less messy looking)?

• 2 weeks later...

We've used them for catering jobs as have many caterers (hence JB Prince sells them)

They seem to work best with layers - it looks prettier with layers.

like beet layered with sour cream consistancy sauce,

tuna tatare with sushi rice layers

cobb salad push pop

cake layers - red velver, black forest cake with cherry + whipped cream

apple crumble

did one this summer w/ calvados sauteed apples layered with flavored whipped cream.

Abigail Kirsh Catering is offering

Frozen Cocktail Push-Pops

peach bellini: peach ice with champagne gelee peaches

green lavender-tini: apple vodka ice with lavender thyme gelee apples

crushed cherry rose: morello cherry ice with rose gelee cherries

https://www.facebook.com/cuisinetccatering

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

I took a look at them, even bought a few of the containers and played around with them but never used them in a commercial application. I also bought some of the small freeze pop bags. Fill 'em, seal and toss in the freezer. I had more fun with those than the push pops but still never used them for work. I should include the disclaimer that my difficulty came from logistics, not application. There's really no way to fit them into what we do at the restaurant and the type of catering jobs I generally do rarely provide for adequate frozen storage. Of course frozen isn't really a requirement with the push pop containers but it's the only aspect of them I've played around with at this point.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@tigerwoman -

How did you store/transport/present the pops? I'm a little concerned about storing them when they're filled (upside-down maybe? use the lids and garnish onsite?). I'd like to be able to offer something "trendy" (because anything on a stick seems hot right now) but I don't want to worry about transporting these (could I put them on their sides in a fish tub for transporting?) Maybe the freeze pop bags would be better?