• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Granulated onion?

rotuts

I use Penzys granulated garlic. its not the same as fresh, but in the proper preps it works quite well

in a pinch :laugh::wink:

it is not powdered garlic.

that being said, does anyone know if granulated onion is sold by a top notch spice and herb seller?

as onion might have more water maybe this does not exist.

many thanks!

Edited by rotuts (log)

I get most of my spices from World Spice in Pike Place Market in Seattle. They have dried onion in several different forms, including powder, granulated, and flakes. I buy from them locally, but they also do mail order.

[Edit: Wrong web site link the first time.]

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I use Penzys granulated garlic. its not the same as fresh, but in the proper preps it works quite well

in a pinch :laugh::wink:

it is not powdered garlic.

that being said, does anyone know if granulated onion is sold by a top notch spice and herb seller?

as onion might have more water maybe this does not exist.

many thanks!

Doesn't Penzey's also do several versions of onion, as powder or dehydrated chunks?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I use Penzys granulated garlic... does anyone know if granulated onion is sold by a top notch spice and herb seller?

Doesn't Penzey's also do several versions of onion, as powder or dehydrated chunks?

MelissaH

I just discovered Penzeys toasted granulated onions--yum. Super convenient for quick dip/spread mixes. They have "Californian white onions, granulated", as well.

Fern

I just buy minced dehydrated garlic or onion now.. If I need powder for a rub or some other reason, I just throw it in my spice grinder , or use my M&P.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Penzey's also has a Shallot Salt that I think is a little too mild to cook with. The flavor just seems to get lost. But I've found that it works better (meaning you can taste it) when using it as a finishing salt.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I scored a largish-container (one that looks like a small version of the restaurant-sized spice bottles) of Spice Islands California Onion Powder at Sam's Wholesale Club when I was in the States awhile back. I'd bought a Chinese brand here locally but it caked up like a rock, got tired of messing around with it.

There's got to be something in it to keep it from caking but I'm not really sure what it is (no enlightenment on the label). Perhaps that's why they call it a powder rather than granulated.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

I just discovered Penzeys toasted granulated onions--yum. Super convenient for quick dip/spread mixes. They have "Californian white onions, granulated", as well.

Fern

I LOVE Penzey's Toasted Granulated Onions!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Big Joe, I know a lot of powdered sugars use a bit on corn starch to keep their product from clumping, maybe the onion powder has a pinch in it too..

Toliver, do you find that Shallot Salt in the store or from their catalogue? I go to their store all the time (I buy a jar of their Ancho Chile Powder at least once a month it seems) but I haven't seen it. Then again, I haven't seen their granulated onion either, so maybe I'm a little blind when I don't have time to browse :wink:

I use their granulated garlic for just about everything I make that accepts powdered spices more readily (long-simmered red sauce being my primary use) and it's wonderful. I've been using dried onion flakes a lot in these dishes too, since that and onion powder (which I use sparingly) were all I could find for the longest time. It would be great to find some granulated onion as well. I will have to set aside some good browsing time for the next time I am at Penzy's..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".