• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camino Chocolate

ElsieD

WagJag has a promotion right now on Camino chocolate. It is advertised as Fair Trade Camino bittersweet chocolate chips containing 71% cocoa. The ingredients are cacao mass, cane sugar, and cacao butter. There are no additives or emulsifiers. The price is $95 for 10kilos. My question is, can I use this for anything other than, say, chocolate chip cookies? Can I use it for molding chocolates? Ganache? it is a great deal but on the other hand, that is a lot of chocolate. Thank you.

You may want to try contacting the company and ask what the cocoa/cocoa butter split is on that product. Generally, though, chocolate chips aren't good to use as couveture because the chocolate isn't conched as long (may be a bit gritty) and the split doesn't have as much cocoa butter as needed, so the chocolate won't have a great snap to it. It may make a grainy ganache, and be a little odd to handle because of a lower cocoa butter content.

(edited to switch 'isn't' for 'is')

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)