• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Extra Virginity" - the book by Tom Mueller

pastameshugana

Who has picked this up yet? I've just started it, and it's a great read so far. Talking about olive oil culture, with a historical perspective, while highlighting the struggles facing the industry today.

It makes me want to do an olive oil tasting!

If you haven't gotten it yet (it's brand new) go out and get it!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

im looking forward to this book. my local library has copies and Im on the list.

the best olive oil Ive ever had and Ive spent a lot of time in Europe growing up came from an "old orchard" that was part of one of the Northern California spanish missions. It was harvested by Nuns and available only at the mission in 1 gallon containers.

the best olive oil Ive ever had and Ive spent a lot of time in Europe growing up came from an "old orchard" that was part of one of the Northern California spanish missions. It was harvested by Nuns and available only at the mission in 1 gallon containers.

Do you remember which Mission it was? I live in Los Angeles, and I'm always looking for an excuse to take a drive north..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

one never need an excuse to Go North. I grew up in NCal and moved to N.E for college and stayed.

I tried to look it up and recalled that it closed down about 10 - 15 years ago. the Nuns ran out of new blood and sold off the 'estate' it may have been in San Rafael.

the trees were huge and very old. my mother used to make brined olives from local trees whiled growing up and I never liked them. they had pits and werent particularly large.

these were not however the 'canned' california black olives that are beyond insipid.

that oil I used to get 1 - 2 gal at a time if they had it, and transferred it to very clean plastic soda bottles and making sure there was no air froze these. it was very green but 'sweet' almost like butter.

im betting this book talks a lot about repakaging and fru-fru labels.

need an excuse to go north?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tadich-grill-san-francisco

best oysters rockefeller and sand dabs Ive ever had. I think they have olive oil there to keep this on topic.

as ive said, i havent read this book yet

but it has to mention the fru-fru bottles, marketing, and snappy labels

after looking at this book, and if you live near a Trader Joes' as they have a mighty fine selection of all kinds of oils,

invite your friends. assign a dif. bottle to each. get some very good but neutral crusy bread and do a tripple bind study of all the oils.

everyubody has to stand up and read from their notes before anybody knows the bottle in question.

best time had by all.

( did this a long long time ago with 12 bottles of champaign. best evening ever!)

how long ago? i could afford them!

we had some olives, maybe so OT.

Edited by rotuts (log)

need an excuse to go north?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tadich-grill-san-francisco

best oysters rockefeller and sand dabs Ive ever had. I think they have olive oil there to keep this on topic.

Food + San Francisco? You're preaching to the choir rotuts!

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

For a more historical take on the olive in America try "The Olive in California, History of an Immigrant Tree", by Judith M. Taylor, M.D. Available from Ten Speed Press or the UC Davis book store. And for those of you interested in tasting local olive oils on the central coast of California, drop me a PM and I'll direct you to some growers/producers, including myself. Or just come and visit the farm and learn about what is involved in producing olive oil and taste, taste, taste. Buona Salute!

"I drink to make other people interesting".