• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging Design

Panaderia Canadiense

Hi folks! I've been faced with the challenge of gift packaging for stacks of 6 shortbread cookies, and I've come up with the following solutions. I have to bear in mind that the cookies are maple-leaf shaped, that I'm hand-making the boxes, and that they're typical butter-tacular shortbread cookies, and as such I'll have to pack them in plastic before they go into the boxes. I'll be tying them with gold ribbon (which will also bear the gift tag, which is trilingual).

Opinions, please and thank you!

Box-RedLid.jpg

Box-LeafsLid.jpg

Box-RedLeafsLid.jpg

Box-Packed.jpg

Box-Interior.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

As above - my thought Maple Leafs are a hockey team. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm deliberately playing on the Toronto Maple Leafs (I'm perfectly aware that it's more grammatically correct to use "leaves" but at the same time, there's a tremedous in-joke at play here with the client that ensures that the cookies remain Leafs.)

ETA - in Spanish, these cookies are actually called Butter Leaves with Nuts (Hojas Mantecadas con Nueces)....

I'm also wedded to the typeface - Baroness, you're the first person to ever tell me it's difficult to read (and those are actually the miniscules for most of the typeface; the majescules are far more ornate and difficult to read and hence I rarely use them at all).

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

OK. I think that #3, red on red, is more graphically sophisticated...but on the other hand, the red on white is more attention grabbing and more in keeping with an 'in-joke' perhaps.

On the other hand, I have always hated the Leafs anyway, being a Canadiens fan through and through. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The gold ribbon is 3 mm thick (so quite thin; more like string but still broad enough to be considered ribbon).

Red with white lettering looked awful when I tried it; it was therefore vetoed in favour of black on white (which is also a little bit less expensive, printing-wise).

On the other hand, I have always hated the Leafs anyway, being a Canadiens fan through and through. :raz:

:raz: Les Habs through and through here, too - it made me very unpopular in Edmonton, though.... :blink:

ETA - ...and the customer is always right. Even when he's so, so wrong....

I vote for the red on white -- more graphically striking, especially with a gold ribbon. Super cute boxes though -- I'm just about to do a holiday baking extravaganza tomorrow, and will be facing my usual 'what do I pack this stuff in' conundrum!

Emily - these are produced with my inkjet printer and Bristol-weight card (in white or red) - then I cut them out with my nifty little scrapbook cutting gidgety-widget, score with a ruler, and assemble using silicone glue. It's a very easy solution to the packaging problem.

The red on white is the most striking at first glance and best conveys what is inside.

Have you tried the red on white top with a red bottom?

I like the typeface fine. Perhaps Baroness's criticism is more about your use of all caps. Words in upper and lower case letters are easier to read than words in all caps. Scientists who study these things say the ups and downs of the letters make it easier for the eye to catch the shape of the letters and recognize the words.

So just be more selective about the words you put in all caps. Perhaps your name and "Maple Leafs" in all caps, the rest in upper and lower case?

To illustrate, which is easier to read:

MAPLE WALNUT SHORTBREAD COOKIES

BISCUITS SABLES D'ERABLE AVEC NOIX

GALLETAS DE MANTEQUILLA CON NUECES

Maple Walnut Shortbread Cookies

Biscuits Sables D'Erable Avec Noix

Galletas De Mantequilla Con Nueces

I'm also wedded to the typeface... and those are actually the miniscules; the majescules are far more ornate and difficult to read and hence I rarely use them at all....

I realize the difficulties inherent in this typeface, but it's one that's been part of my bakery's branding since the beginning and I can't do that much about it (unless I fudge miniscules using squashed caps - I'll try that). When one actually has the tag in one's hands, there's no problem reading it - I've tested this on a wide range of people and had zero complaints about it. I might try another for the cookie descriptions, but I'll have to stay within the Deco-Nouveaux style range that has become my trademark - simple, tasty things in simple, elegant packages.

Interesting point about the red bottom for the red-white top; I'll give that a try and post it up a bit later.

(edited to add my actual point - I probably shouldn't post before I've had my morning Guayusa...)

Allrighty then! Here's the red bottom, red-and-white leaves top box (I really like it! Thanks, Djyee - even if this doesn't end up being the box for this client, it will become the box for the standard Christmas baskets.)

And also a take on miniscules/majescules for the tags - is it easier to read now that the miniscules have been squashed down?

Box-RedBottomLeafLid.jpg

LeafsComparison.png

Oh I do like that last one, with the red bottom. As for the typescript, go with what you have already picked for your business. You are correct. It's much different reading it with the tag in your hand. Our business also has a more elaborate script and it's fine from in one's hand.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK, the client has chosen this one:

Box-RedLeafsLid.jpg

Thank you everybody for your advice and help!

edit - image tags, duh....

So just be more selective about the words you put in all caps. Perhaps your name and "Maple Leafs" in all caps, the rest in upper and lower case?

Yes, I agree with this.

I do graphics for a living and all caps are less easy to read than a mix of upper and lower case, especially with stylized lettering.

If you're wedded to the font due to business reasons, that doesn't mean everything you print needs to be in that font. Use it for baked good titles, your business name, etc, but something like descriptions or ingredient lists can be set in a simple Times Roman Italic (a little stylish yet easy to read).

Good luck with the packaging!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yes, I agree with this.

I do graphics for a living and all caps are less easy to read than a mix of upper and lower case, especially with stylized lettering.

If you're wedded to the font due to business reasons, that doesn't mean everything you print needs to be in that font. Use it for baked good titles, your business name, etc, but something like descriptions or ingredient lists can be set in a simple Times Roman Italic (a little stylish yet easy to read).

Good luck with the packaging!

Good points, Toliver. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks, Toliver. I'll do that, but not with Times. I have a serious hate on for that font.

Now I get to hyperventilate about something else - they've upped the order to about 40 dozen cookies. I think we'll be able to do it if we bake from 8 am tomorrow until we finish, and make all of the boxes tonight.

A few ideas in no particular order. Vary the font. Do the small stuff in a much simpler easier to read font. The box top would be more interesting if it extended less or more than exactly halfway down the height of the whole assembly.

The C and the M of your font are particularly difficult to read. Couldn't you find a similarly fancy typeface without the cluttered look?

A few ideas in no particular order. Vary the font. Do the small stuff in a much simpler easier to read font. The box top would be more interesting if it extended less or more than exactly halfway down the height of the whole assembly.

The C and the M of your font are particularly difficult to read. Couldn't you find a similarly fancy typeface without the cluttered look?

Ditto, other than I have legibility issues with the M and L.

Great advice. Cbread is correct. We have two fonts on our own stuff, a fancy and a very plain for the contact info. Cbread has a good eye. And about the lid too.

I remember when we were using a font with a horrible capital "I" and "J". I substituted those caps from another similar font which was legible and very similar. Worked well, but it was just one too many things to deal with. Picked a new font completely in the end.

Good luck. It is all looking very good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.