• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clove flavored gummies

MelissaH

I talked to my MIL this morning, who tells me that her other son would like to make a candy with the texture of a gummy bear, but clove-flavored rather than fruity. Has anyone heard of such a thing? What would be a good place to start? My MIL is an experienced hard candy maker, every year doing batches flavored with cinnamon and clove, and I suspect this is where the idea arose.

My knee-jerk reaction was that you'd need some kind of fairly neutral fruit as a base, maybe apple, to get the body and texture right, and then you could add some clove oil to bring in that flavor. (Well, my first reaction was "Yuck!" because clove-flavored anything isn't my thing. This was my first productive thought on the subject.) I was thinking maybe an apple pate de fruit recipe? Or would gelatin be a better bet?

Thanks,

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've done an orange-and-clove pâte de fruit the past couple of years at Christmas, and it works great using pure clove oil. But if he really wants something with the texture of a gummy bear, I would think gelatin would be the best place to start. Aren't gummy bears basically just sugar, gelatin and flavouring anyway? That way, he wouldn't have to worry about finding a neutral base.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The wonderful Khymos recipe collection has a number of recipes for wine gums, whiskey gums and similar beasts, and I've had success with versions of this one from Michael Liaskonis.

I don't see why you'd need any fruit; either use clove oil, as discussed above, or infuse cloves in some other liquid - vodka, perhaps?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I dont meant to be correcting the Chocolate Doctor, but even though the gummies are typically deposited in cornstarch molds, I think it would be more accurate to say they are a gelatin candy. There is not cornstarch (at least none that I have seen) that is in the actual gummie, any cornstarch is residual from the mold it was cast in. Thats why gummie bears would melt if you put the on a stove, turkish delight, or lokumi, dont do that, you cant remelt gelatenized cornstarch, the Turkish candies are quite different.

Funny thing is - I'm away from home - I'm thinking gummies are made with gelatine too, so because I can't look at my books for recipes - I head on to Wiki - which tells me they are starch. Of course looking at the ingredients for the Haribo one's they are indeed gelatine and starch molded.

Correct away!

• 4 years later...

Gummies question: 

I've been trying to make "healthy" fruit juice gummies and have been playing around with the amount of gelatin to get the nice chewy texture of gummies.  I tried 1 cup juice to 2 TBSP gelatin and the worms were too soft.  I just tried the 1 cup juice to 3 TBSP gelatin and while the texture is better, ALL I can taste is gelatin (and the pomegranate juice flavor is really muted).

Has anyone successfully made gummy bears that are chewy and don't just taste like gelatin?  If so, how?!!

I am no expert, but someone posted in the comments about reducing fruit juice and using that in place of the water.  It would be your call whether the reduced juice is sweet enough to sub for the sugar and glucose.

Knox powdered gelatin is 225.  A couple of commenters reported using it successfully. I think this article has enough info to calculate the amount to substitute for the platinum, 250 bloom sheets.