• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from Finland

Hi there! I am writing from Finland. I would be interested if there is any that is at the forum and in neighborhood countries of Finland, Scandinavia? I am a home mother for three foster children and now having some months brake for trying to organize our children's school and health things little further. I am studying to be a professional in cake decorating and baking, is it a Confectionist or Pastry chef in English? Maybe Confectionist or does that relate in primarily those making hand made chocolate? Oh sorry, I am not so sure about these in English. I participated Finland's most famous place for little more than a year and oh boy it was an experience! Never done so hard physical work in so fast rhythm and so delicately tiny four petit's, than there. I had zero experience when going in and I could manage right most of the handmade products done there, when leaving. I was meant to be staying there for 2 years and continue working there as a professional after graduation, but our foster children ans my whole family would not stretch so much. I just had to decide that my children won't be able to hold on any longer, it's not their job. Yea, I am a passionate with cakes, baking and decorating stuff. I am not very skilful, in my own eyes, since I have seen the top of Finnish Cake Art, but I am constantly trying to enhance it. Anyway, if you have got a baking passion problem, when staying in Finland or nearby North European cities, I am eager to help. And yes, this is my fist posting to here. And Yes, I am a Finn, I lived with my husband 4 months at USA, Maryland, College Park when I was younger. I still like to read and write in English.

Edited by Tirrikka (log)

Welcome to eG. Here's an index to some topics you might find useful:

click

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello! I may have only spent one week in Helsinki, but I must say that I loved my time there, and happen to be a big fan of Kimi Raikkonen. I still have fond memories of the soup stand at the market hall, the Arabia factory, restaurant olo, and the amazing hobby bookshop around the corner from Stockmann.

What you describe would be "pastry chef" in english. Also, please do tell us about the pastry items you work on from time to time. I'm very curious as to what is Finnish Pastry.

Hello there! I'm from Finland as well and I know there are a few of us more here in eG forums. I've read your blog before and liked it a lot. Where were you working for that year? There can never be too much about professional finnish pastry in the internet so it's nice to see more finns here.