• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy a culinary blowtorch in Edmonton

I'd like to buy a good blowtorch to use in the kitchen to sear and caramelize - I've been told by a foodie friend to get one that uses MAPP fuel. I have searched online and seen that Bernzomatic blowtorches are stocked by Home Depot but it says it weighs 22lb! http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mapp-kit-with-ts4000-gas-cylinder/913335. (Maybe this is supposed to be 2.2lb?). Does anyone have experience with this blowtorch? Any other suggestions for where and what sort of blow torch to buy in Edmonton, AB?

I have a MAPP torch that I use to light my Big Green Egg, weighs a pound or two at the most. Actually - just looked up the one I have at Home Depot and it say 3.8 lbs.

Bernzomatic torch fuel canisters say on them, in large letters, "not for culinary use" - or at least, they used to...

There was a specialty kitchen store in one of the megamall plaza thingies out on Calgary Trail South (Gateway Boulevard? Gretzky Drive? I hated it when they changed the names) that had nice compact culinary torches for about $50. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the store, though, and I've been gone 5 years so it may not even be there anymore.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Have you tried Call the Keetle Black on 124th and Jasper Ave? I would have suggested Le Gnome in WEM, but I understand it's closed now. :sad: And it may be worth checking out Winners - I got some top end gear from there last time I visited and you never know what they might have.