• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezer funk - What? Why?

Hassouni

I can't be alone in this. Anything I freeze invariably ends up with a really unpleasant musty smell and taste. This only goes for things I freeze, not things I've bought already frozen. I've noticed this not just with my current freezer but with every other one I've used too. I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I do suck out as much of the air as I can with a straw through heavy duty freezer bags, and it does get to almost-vacuum status.

Why does this nasty smell and taste happen, and what can I do about it?

Edit: I should mention this happens whether there's freezer burn or not.

Im looking forward to hearing what this is also

with my Weston SV poly-bags that are thicker than the FoodSaver I can tell you this:

the funk (fine work for this by the way) does not penetrate.

i buy butter while on sale and place the 4 sticks in a bag with enough 'head room' and then vac and freeze. i cut at the seam and take one out as I need it and then reseal the same bag and back in the frezzer.

so far at 6 M there is no funk on this butter. and at 4 months there is no funk on the SV items i freeze the same way.

My theory, just a theory:

It is not freezer funk, it may be refrigerator funk.

Typical refrigerator has one compressor serving both the freezer well as the refrigerator. Air gets circulated from the fridge to he freezer. The freezer being much colder, condenses moisture, smells and vapors from the refrigerator.

Try cleaning the fridge more often, and keep a box of activated charcoal in the fridge may help.

dcarch

Could it be the taste of the bag you use? Ziploc bags do have a flavor that gets into food after a while.

It doesn't matter what sort of container it is, Ziploc, tupperware, foil, whatever.

My theory, just a theory:

It is not freezer funk, it may be refrigerator funk.

Typical refrigerator has one compressor serving both the freezer well as the refrigerator. Air gets circulated from the fridge to he freezer. The freezer being much colder, condenses moisture, smells and vapors from the refrigerator.

Try cleaning the fridge more often, and keep a box of activated charcoal in the fridge may help.

dcarch

Possible, but like I said it's nearly the same smell in every fridge I've ever used, both here and abroad, so I don't know

• 3 weeks later...

I always put an open container of baking soda in the fridge and the freezer. The one in the fridge is more important, because it's the smells from there that get into the freezer, I think. I change it every month or two.

Where is the evidence that Ziploc bags have a flavor that gets into the food? I've never heard this before. Is it specifically Ziploc (Ziplok?)-brand bags, or any plastic bag?

Do we all need to move to glass? But can all kinds of glass can take protracted exposure to freezing temperature? (And then being restored to room temperature, and back to freezing temperature?)