• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Language Cookery television

jameswilliam

I'm currently trying to pick up some basic Italian and I wondered if anyone knew of any good Italian language television programmes, whether on air at the moment or older ones that I might be able to find online? I tried searching Google, but I couldn't work out good search terms to use.

For learning Spanish I found Jose Andres's Vamos a Cocinar and Juan Pozuelo's Que Comemos Hoy really great for listening practice and mainly I'm looking for similar format, ie someone making something and talking you through it, but to be honest anything else food related would be great as well

You could try YouTube. You may have to adjust the settings (at the bottom of the YouTube web page).

Here's an

You may have to tweak your search query because you could end up with a huge list of english language cooking shows making italian food.

Good luck.

edited to add: You could also try posting your request on the eGullet Italian forum. They may have better web links for you.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We have a couple of TV channels that focus mainly on food stuff, they are:

Gambero Rosso Channel

Alice TV

where some chefs have their own series presenting their recipes.

The best one in my opinion is Luca Montersino (Alice TV), he is a pastry chef and explains professional recipes (pastry shops items) quite clearly.

Another pastry chef is Maurizio Santin (Gambero Rosso), he is focused more on plated desserts.

About savory dishes, there are the series by Laura Ravaioli and Massimiliano Mariola. Both of them are at Gambero Rosso, and their recipes are mainly for amateurs. Laura Ravaioli makes some cakes too.

If you search their names on youtube, you can find a lot of videos. But to be honest I can't say if they are easy or difficult to understand for a person starting to learn Italian language. I suppose the easier should be Mariola, then followed by Ravaioli.

There are some little series of few episodes dedicated to famous chefs, but they are short (2-3 episodes), so I can only suggest to search the name of the chef you are interested, and hope he went on TV.

Teo

Teo