• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Odd question: canned moose meat?

Goatjunky

I have a ton of moose meat at my disposal. This is new to me and i am trying to figure out what to do with it. I will be making a lot of jerky this weekend, most of it will be kept frozen and used in stews, etc. But thru googling i discovered the idea of canning it. This appeals to me because i would like to share it.. however.. canned meat sounds unappetizing. Wwhat would you do with the end product? I want to send some to people along with my canned tuna and jellies but am thinkiing people will be stumped by it. Canning cooks it, so im not sure how you would use it in recipes. Anyone ever try this?

Im going to do a raw pack i have decided. Excited by the oddness factor for some reason. So im looking up how to use it and will put some sort of instructions with the jar. It totally fascinates me that people are grossed out by home canned tuna as opposed to store bought..

Anyway, im babbling.

I will post pics on my experiment

My mum used to can a fair amount of meat - chunks of beef, elk, leftovers from the Christmas turkey. I think she generally canned it in broth as a cooked product as we didn't have a pressure canner. When it came to using the meat, it was usually as a super-quick 'meat in gravy' dinner: she'd make a roux adding the canning juices to make a gravy, then heat the meat in the gravy. Usually she seasoned it with some herbs and added a bit of wine or port. We ate it with noodles or mash and vegetables and we all loved it. She also used to can cretons. A lot of neighbours used to can fish as well.

If it were myself, I would not mind cold packing moose meat and using it randomly in stews etc.

To give in tandem with other canned items - I think it might be off-putting to someone not familiar with moose meat or canned meat in general.

Home canned tuna is great - looks terrible in a glass canning jar, but most people can get past that.

Have you considered making something like moose meat chili or mincemeat?

Lucky you - I no longer have any hunters in my family and even the boar hunting guy at work won't throw me a 'bone'.