• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ritz - London classic fine dining

Sunday lunch at The Ritz is priced at £45 per person for a 4 course meal (inc an Amuse) and inclusive of service ,very reasonable for top class dining in such an establishment. There was an individually priced a.l.c. menu as well as a tasting menu available for lunch.I was absolutely gutted when the maitre`d suggested the Chef recommended we go for the Ritz Tasting menu ,it read beautifully on the menu but after our 21 courses and 15 wines only hours previously at Marcus Wareing i was ever so slightly delicate to say the least. I sent my apologies to chef, perhaps it would be best that we just chose the set lunch and return again for the Tasting menu next visit.

We were both seated in the far corner of the restaurant for lunch.It was the perfect place to take a nosey at all that was happening during service…probably best seats in the house if i`m honest.We both sat in silence taking everything in…we just didn`t need to speak , it was a case of The Ritz working its magic.Within a few minutes a little entourage of smartly dressed young waiters descended on our table “A complimentary starter from the chef”. My eyes lit up , i seen the wonderful terrine presented before me…generous slices of Goose foie gras sandwiching perfectly cooked cubes of Grouse breast and Granny smith apples interleaved with Black truffle and date puree….Oh Jeez…This is what fine dining is all about…what a treat.

Grouse and Foie gras terrine ,Black Truffle and granny smith apple compression.

Chicken terrine with foie gras , Truffles and Girolle.

Wild sea bass with Apple

Warm native Lobster with Grapefruit and Caviar

Classic Roast beef sunday lunch.

Roast pork with Autumn flavours.

Chocolate and Pear

Ritz petits fours

P1100887.JPG

P1100897.JPG

P1100902.JPG

P1100917.JPG

P1100919.JPG

P1100923.JPG

P1100939.JPG

P1100949.JPG

P1100962.JPG

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Sped - did you have the £45 menu in the end? Lobster, bass, truffle, foie, caviar, grouse? If that's all in for £45 it is indeed a steal. Presentation looks lovely too.

I only got close to Ritz restaurant once. Being a media type I'm often in jeans. We headed through the lobby some years ago only for a footman, not far beyond reception to announce, "No jeans beyond this line!"

"What, this line?" said my colleague. To which the footman replied yes and my colleague, in response, decided to do - and sing - the oki koki repeatedly over the imaginary divide.

Needless to say, I haven't rushed back, though that deal could well overcome any lingering embarrassment.

Edited by marcusjames (log)

Well Marcus...it was a steal "however" the Lobster and the Grouse terrine weren`t inclusive of the set lunch.They were both off the alc menu.The set lunch did include the foie gras terrine with the truffle and the sea bass , pork and beef then chocolate pud.Definitely well worth casting aside your jeans for though.Ill be back early in the new year to try the tasting menu so ill be sure to let you know how that one went. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Another amazing meal at The Ritz last week...10 course Sonata menu. Here`s the highlights - £99

Halibut Dauphine , Smoked Oyster mayonnaise with Caviar.

Venison Tartare , Parmesan bread and Black Truffle.

Roasted Langoustine , Sauce Marie.

Croque Monsieur with Truffle.

Dressed Devon Crab roll , Avocado , spiced apple puree , confit ginger, Charentais Melon.

Terrine of Goose liver , Port glazed Spiced Fig , Gingerbread and Marsala jelly.

Seared Scottish Scallop , Smoked Eel , Bacon , pickled Shallots and Watercress.

Braised Cornish Turbot , Chestnuts ,Artichokes , Cep puree and Truffle.

Peppered Venison loin , Smoked sausage , Pumpkin and cabbage.

Salt baked Truffled Tunworth ,Pear and Walnut salad.

Lime and Vanilla sorbet , poached Rhubarb , Muesli.

Mont Blanc , Caramelised Pear and Clementine sorbet inside a milk chocolate dome , Rum baba , Marron glace , Chestnut Chantilly cream.

The Ritz coffee and Petits fours.

P1120021.JPG

P1120046.JPG

P1120086.JPG

P1120117.JPG

P1120131.JPG

P1120171.JPG

P1120219.JPG

P1120236.JPG

RitzPanorama1.jpg

Remember that 1 star is "in its category", subsequently it is probably being judged as a luxury dining venue not necessarily against a 1 star pub. Having said that the food does look nice, I vaguely remember it having a star a few years back.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Remember that 1 star is "in its category", subsequently it is probably being judged as a luxury dining venue not necessarily against a 1 star pub. Having said that the food does look nice, I vaguely remember it having a star a few years back.

Ah, good point about the category. I couldn't find any record of a star here:

http://www.michelinonline.co.uk/travelshop/star-history/2011/rg-lon.htm

It does strike me as a bit of an anomaly amoungst the other top London hotels