• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingerbread for houses - do you have a good recipe?

Kouign Aman

I'm still thinking about what else might work. I've had gingerbread constructions that sat in an unheated porch through the rest of the winter and into spring when things get warm and more humid and were still solid just using royal icing so I'm not sure what would be stronger and more reliable and still remain in the food safe/edible range. Is food safe/edible a concern? I'm assuming so since you mentioned construction adhesive not being an option.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My wife does gingerbread houses every year with royal icing. We've transported for an hour+ in the car on Christmas Day and never had a problem. You can't actually break the royal icing off the structure, you have to tear the walls in half instead (ie., the gingerbread breaks before the royal icing). Maybe humidity has something to do with it???

• Like 1

I have used royal icing for all the gingerbread construction that I have done (two houses and a train). All were transported by car to another location over an hour away... no structural problems. You do have to wait until the royal icing dries (and that may take a few hours) but once it is dry, no problems. As cyalexa mentions, I have also see people use molten sugar to "glue" the pieces together. Might make a prettier join but caramel would also have a humidity issue.

Good luck with your gingerbread house!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2015 at 2:53 AM, AnythingButPlainChocolate said:

What about plain chocolate?

Chocolate tends to shrink when it is set, that's why it's easy to get out of molds. It's not a great glue, especially for larger construction parts because it doesn't grip and the shrinkage means that it pulls away from the parts instead of holding them together. Think of breaking a chunk of chocolate with nuts and how you see shiny cavities where the edges of the nuts were. Bark and such only work if there is enough chocolate to surround the chunks, things like nuts that are just placed on top invariably fall off.

Hot sugar is the best, if your area isn't humid, and royal icing is second best. (humidity will affect royal icing as well)

So a note about my question above. My earlier question did play out on this project - the royal icing didn't adhere at one point. I think I figured out why - the surface may have had some loose flour. After that we took a damp towel and cleaned every piece before applying the icing and it worked like a charm including the bumpy drive across town with the house in the back of my SUV.

• Like 1

Wow, Franci, they are gorgeous. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 11 months later...

I know these houses are not gingerbread houses but I am so impressed with the work or this pastry chef and architect that I had to share.

Click

This year I'll make my traditional house for my son and for my daughter, since I'm not sure her teacher wants a gingerbread  house for her class, I'll make a smaller short pastry house.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wholemeal Crank said:

Those were incredible.  Wow.  Such sharp detail.  I'd love to know the scale of the cathedrals.

@Wholemeal Crank if you go inside the Milan's Cathedral, for examples, she says it's 1:350 . It was about 13 pounds of short pastry and 140 hours of work!

Edited by Franci (log)

Careme supposedly characterized pastry as the most important branch of architecture...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning