• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Kabocha Squash and Fennel Soup with Crème Fraîche and Candied Pumpkin Seeds from Sunday Suppers at Lucques p 323.  @FrogPrincesse has already reported on this one, earlier in the thread.

IMG_9963.thumb.JPG.ad2c319cf1cfe160b174ae504717b0f2.JPG
Alongside the soup are Crostini with Blue Cheese and Walnuts from a Deborah Madison recipe. I suspect that I browned the squash and fennel more than the recipe intended when I was roasting them so the color is dark but I rather like the toasty flavor. The recipe offers a choice of chicken or vegetable stock or water. I used the Instant Pot to make a quick stock with the skin, seeds and trimmings from the squash, fennel and onions. I used an amontillado sherry and liked the flavor it added. I substituted Greek yogurt thinned with a bit of buttermilk instead of crème fraîche.

I was going to skip the candied pumpkin seeds but I'm very glad I didn't as they only took a few minutes and add the perfect finish to the soup. The header notes say they're adult Halloween candy - they're almost like a spicy pumpkin seed brittle.

fullsizeoutput_395b.thumb.jpeg.315e5b67c93b9e9b93446abe702b1fc1.jpeg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Kabocha Squash and Fennel Soup with Crème Fraîche and Candied Pumpkin Seeds from Sunday Suppers at Lucques p 323.  @FrogPrincesse has already reported on this one, earlier in the thread.

Alongside the soup are Crostini with Blue Cheese and Walnuts from a Deborah Madison recipe. I suspect I browned the squash and fennel more than the recipe intended when I was roasting them so the color is dark but I rather like the toasty flavor. The recipe offers a choice of chicken or vegetable stock or water. I used the Instant Pot to make a quick stock with the skin, seeds and trimmings from the squash, fennel and onions. I used an amontillado sherry and liked the flavor it added. I substituted Greek yogurt thinned with a bit of buttermilk instead of crème fraîche.

I was going to skip the candied pumpkin seeds but I'm very glad I didn't as they only took a few minutes and add the perfect finish to the soup. The header notes say they're adult Halloween candy - they're almost like a spicy pumpkin seed brittle.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Alongside the soup are Crostini with Blue Cheese and Walnuts from a Deborah Madison recipe. I suspect I browned the squash and fennel more than the recipe intended when I was roasting them so the color is dark but I rather like the toasty flavor. The recipe offers a choice of chicken or vegetable stock or water. I used the Instant Pot to make a quick stock with the skin, seeds and trimmings from the squash, fennel and onions. I used an amontillado sherry and liked the flavor it added. I substituted Greek yogurt thinned with a bit of buttermilk instead of crème fraîche. I was going to skip the candied pumpkin seeds but I'm very glad I didn't as they only took a few minutes and add the perfect finish to the soup. The header notes say they're adult Halloween candy - they're almost like a spicy pumpkin seed brittle.