• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Pork Filet

ambra

A local recipe is to wrap it in bacon or crumbled sausage, add rosemary, and cover the whole thing in a loaf of bread (like a french stick) and bake it.

It's actually very good. The Bread is the best part. The problem is, the meat tastes almost steamed, making it not really delicious at all, albeit totally tender and edible.

What can I do to make it taste more roasted? Anything? If I give it a really strong sear, will that be lost after baking inside a loat of bread?

OR better yet, does anyone have any good recipes for a whole pork filet that are reallllllly good? I'm not really a fan in the first place. Need something really tasty.

why not try browning the coated filet first very quickly

then bake on 1/2 of the loaf ( bottom ) and that way the top gets further browing and the 'jus' fills up the bottom bread boat?

Id like to hear about the result and a pic.

Kind of like a poor man's Wellington, isn't it ? A recipe for which you do sear the meat before encasing it; and which uses a layer of pate (pork liver pate ?) to give richness to complement the lean meat.

Isn't that nice, rotuts ? Great minds thinking alike :rolleyes:

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

OR better yet, does anyone have any good recipes for a whole pork filet that are reallllllly good? I'm not really a fan in the first place. Need something really tasty.

I really like a spice-rubbed tenderloin. Create a rub with ancho chile powder, brown sugar, pasilla chile powder, chile de arbol powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt. Coat the tenderloin with the rub and sear off all sides and finish in oven. Serve with an bourbon-ancho sauce and red-pepper sauce. From Mesa Grill cookbook by Bobby Flay.

IMG_1941.jpg