• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home panini ...what bread?

gfweb

What bread is best for panini made at home? I like a crusty bread in a panini but a baguette or even a hoagie roll goes stale so fast. Is there a frozen bread that can be baked a la minute?

Depends on what kind of rolls do you want to make. Are you looking for an open and chewy structure, or one that's a bit more compact?

If I'm making rolls, I'll often just make a slightly larger batch of dough, and use only a part of it to make rolls (the rest becomes a loaf), so there are enough for immediate use, but not so many that they'll sit about and become stale.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

We make this bread frequently and use it for pressed sandwiches. It can be made from scratch in a few hours. Probably a little less flavor than a long cool rise but for sandwiches, it is excellent, and the texture sounds like what you are looking for.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2984/jasons-quick-coccodrillo-ciabatta-bread

I usually make the semolina variation - there is a bit more flavor. I also sometimes use up extra sourdough starter to add flavor. I maintain a 100% hydrated starter, so if I have an extra 100 grams of starter, I subtract 50 grams each of water and flour from the recipe.

Oh, and if you can get it, King Arthus Sir Lancelot flour (high gluten bread flour) makes for excellent chew. If using semolina, get the fine grind.

Edited by tikidoc (log)