• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine based liqueurs/apertifs

avaserfi

I recently picked up a few wine based liqueurs/apertifs such as Cardamaro Amaro, Lillet and Dubonnet Rouge. When I bought the amaro, I was told that after opening it I should store refrigerated and consumed within six months.

Is this really the case? If so, how do you determine what should be stored refrigerated and has a shelf life once open? Port/Sherry? Vermouth?

Lastly, if this is the case is there an alternative storage method? Refrigerator space is limited.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I make an arbitrary cut off at 20% ABV. Below, they require refrigeration. All my aromatized wines get refrigerated; the ports, sherries, and madeiras do not (these are generally 20%). The only way to determine shelf life is to taste them unmixed and determine whether they still taste good. Lillet or vermouth should not go 6 months once opened; you should notice enough of a difference after 2 months (+/-) that you wouldn't want to use them unless they are a smaller part of the drink. I cannot speak for how long Cardamaro should last.

Two liqueurs that fall below 20% that I do not refrigerate are Aperol and Velvet Falernum (both are in the 11-12% range).

There are gas replacement systems (argon or other) developed for wine storage to drive out the air; I have never gone that route. I know of others that aliquot open bottles into smaller containers (low air volume in the bottle).

In addition to refrigeration I also try to keep open bottles in better shape for longer with a vacu vin seal. My Carpano, Bonal and Lillet are all stored that way currently. The gas system mentioned above may be much better but I don't know if it is as easy or affordable to do having never used one. Some appear to be as simple as squirting the gas into a bottle after each use.

But even with refrigeration and a vacu vin it won't last forever and 6 months at most might be a good rule of thumb.

I too am curious to know what others think. I don't store Aperol, Velvet Falernum or other amaros in the fridge either even though Aperol is only about 11% ABV which is less than Carpano Antico.

Perhaps I should...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Well the difference with Aperol is that it's not wine-based. I've stored my Aperol at room temp and the current bottle is old at this point (like a year plus) and I don't think it tastes any different than when it was new. If it were to develop an off flavor, it wouldn't be like when wine starts turning; it would probably be a lot more obvious/nasty.

For wine-based stuff, I think Punt e Mes holds up quite well (think several months), regular dry and sweet vermouth less so. Lillet and Cocchi seem to turn very slightly after a couple weeks. Carpano Antica has never lasted more than that in my house.

Cardamaro is one where uncertainty about the shelf like is actually preventing me from buying it. I'd like to have it around but there's no way in hell I could get through a bottle quickly enough if it's something that actually turns.