• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "The Homesick Texan" by Lisa Fain

Darienne

I'm not from Texas and have actually eaten very little in Texas over the years. Sad to admit, Texas is basically on the southern route from Ontario to Utah for us. (Don't hate me because I am an ignorant Canadian. :raz: )

We stopped in Terre Haute, IN, for a decent cup of coffee at the local bookstore and I decided to buy one cookbook to read both to myself and out loud to my DH on our current trip and it was the The Homesick Texan by Lisa Fain. I have been following her blog for some time now and had decided to get the second book but the store had only the first. Bought it. Read extensively from it. Going to get the second book also.

I had already made a strawberry ice cream from Fain's blog and now have made Tex-Mex Meat Loaf with Chipotle-Tomato Glaze and the Tomato Cobbler. Both were great successes. The photo was not.

While in Moab, UT, where you can't buy the more 'Mexican' ingredients anyway, I think I'll make a lot more of her recipes. Can't buy those ingredients back home in the far frozen north either. Well, like achiote paste, epazote, traditional chorizo, all the cheeses, etc.

Anyone else cook from this book?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've got the book and do read the blog. Most of the recipes are things I'm pretty familiar with, so don't know that I'd say I've formally "cooked from the book," if that means selecting a recipe and following it beginning to end. I refer to it a lot, though, when I'm making something I've made for years to see if she adds something I hadn't thought of, or uses a method that might be better in some way than mine.

And I link to the blog quite often to illustrate this or that about Texas cooking. Just did so over in the "dried beans" thread when trying to explain Texas Ranch Style Beans.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've got the book and do read the blog. Most of the recipes are things I'm pretty familiar with, so don't know that I'd say I've formally "cooked from the book," if that means selecting a recipe and following it beginning to end. I refer to it a lot, though, when I'm making something I've made for years to see if she adds something I hadn't thought of, or uses a method that might be better in some way than mine.

And I link to the blog quite often to illustrate this or that about Texas cooking. Just did so over in the "dried beans" thread when trying to explain Texas Ranch Style Beans.

Hi Jaymes,

Of course you would know the recipes. You could write your own book. And I do use some of your recipes already.

I should have added that I did add to the Tomato Cobbler recipe. Added a sprinkle of cheese on top and Ed suggested adding black beans and rajas to the mix. Maybe corn. Tex-Mex a la Ontario. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.