• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My favorite toffee recipe

tikidoc

This is not fancy, but I get requests for it every year around the holidays and it gets rave reviews, and it can be made in under 30 minutes. I just started my holiday baking/treat making and made two batches today.

1 lb. unsalted butter

2 cups chopped and lightly toasted pecans

1 cup slivered almonds

1/2 tsp salt

3 Tb water

2 cups granulated sugar (I use raw sugar)

12 ounces chocolate - I use good quality semisweet chips, but you can use whatever you want, either chips or finely chopped. You could even use milk or (gag) white chocolate, if you prefer.

Line a half sheet pan with foil or a Silpat type liner.

Melt butter in a saucepan, add salt, water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the almonds. Boil until it reaches 315F, stirring constantly. The last 10 degrees or so, it will darken in color and start to smell like toffee.

Dump it on the sheet pan and spread to cover the bottom. Sprinkle the chocolate all over the toffee, give it a minute to melt, then spread evenly over the toffee. An offset spatula works well. Sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly over the chocolate, lightly press to set them in the chocolate. Cool 6-8 hours and break into pieces.

Yum.

Happy Holidays.

• Like 1