• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Fridges

Hello.

After accumulating quite a lot of decent wine recently I thought I would purchase a wine fridge to save on all those cellar fees. Whilst I know that a decent wine fridge does not come cheap I thought I would ask the wise people of egullet if there were any decent options around £1,000 mark. I'm looking for a fridge which will hold c. 150 bottles with two seperate temperature areas, one for red and one for white. After doing a bit of searching myself I have found an option from Tefcold (TFW365-2) but not sure what they are like...

Basically any advise would be welcome. Also if there are any decent websites out there which provide such info that would be great. I've been avoiding the second hand route although if anyone knows of any unfortunate restaurants getting rid of such an item I guess that might be a good option depending on location.

Cheers in advance!!

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly not an expert but I've thought about similar options in the past. I think (though I may be wrong) that what you are looking at is a fridge rather than a storage unit. The dual temperatures are linked to the serving temperature of the wine, for storage I'm pretty sure red and white can be kept at the same temperature, as far as I can tell there isn't any humidity control. Can anybody else confirm that what I'm saying is correct? If I'm wrong that seems like a decent priced option! :smile:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I'm certainly not an expert but I've thought about similar options in the past. I think (though I may be wrong) that what you are looking at is a fridge rather than a storage unit. The dual temperatures are linked to the serving temperature of the wine, for storage I'm pretty sure red and white can be kept at the same temperature, as far as I can tell there isn't any humidity control. Can anybody else confirm that what I'm saying is correct? If I'm wrong that seems like a decent priced option! :smile:

With regards to seperate temperature areas, I believe they are for serving temperature. For ageing, I don't believe you would need to store white at a different temperature to red, I think you would store them both at around 13C, but I could be wrong on this point.

£1000 for 150 bottles sounds pretty good to me price wise, personally I wouldn't worry about the temperature areas and just plonk white/champagne in the fridge before serving, but it depends how fussy you are I guess!