• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Paella fixings in Philly

Mano

Any recommendations on where to buy Chorizo and Bomba rice at a reasonable price in Philadelphia? Fantes sells paella pans but I'm open to other recommendations especially if I can do one-stop shopping.

I don't know if La Tienda is still around but when I went there quite a while ago their prices were very high.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

i don't know if they still carry it, but downtown cheese in the terminal used to sell bomba rice.

both they and dibrunos carry a couple varieties of chorizo from palacios. dibrunos also has a couple of more handmade expensive offerings, but for the basics, those are pretty much the sources in town that i know of.

edit: i should mention it's about $10 for a loop of the palacios chorizo. about the same price as you'll pay from anywhere online.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

www.laespanolameats.com might be a good alternative to www.latienda.com

I have ordered from La Espanola Meats before and they are good. My only complain is the shipping costs.

I leave in MN, so I cannot speak to stores in your area.

Do you have a Super Target around? The ones in Minneapolis are carrying a domestic chorizo from the brand Columbus that I really like. Actually, I prefer to cook with this one and eat Palacios by itself with bread...