• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wet aged beef

HowardLi

The answer really depends on your fridge. If it is low and dry enough, putting wet aged beef in the fridge will dry age it. But in normal fridge conditions, chances are it will go off after a few days (I would wager 48 hours?) and start emitting smells that will contaminate everything else in your fridge. If I have wet aged beef, I pat it dry, allow it to air for an hour or so at room temperature, then cook it.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

This is the result of 21 day wet and 21 day dry aged. I have a separate fridge that I age in, down stairs . I just make sure my meat has good air circulation ( hang it or put it on a cookie cooler rack and place it near the bottom of the fridge. That's about all I do. I have done 28 days too.

3256253633_145117ca85.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels