• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Female sushi chef?

vloglady

There is a woman sushi chef at Mashiko's in West Seattle. (Full restaurant name is Mashiko Japanese Restaurant and Fully Sustainable Sushi Bar.) Go to http://sushiwhore.com/home.html for their home page, where you can also read about how Mashiko's is one of the first sushi restaurants in the nation with exclusively all-sustainable seafood. The owner made a commitment to this two years ago and really followed through. Read all about it on his website. He also talks about the myth that women can't be sushi chefs. Something about women making all the sushi 200 years ago. :laugh:

A good friend of mine is a female sushi chef, she is Japanese and trained in Osaka. I have asked her advice on a number of topics that have popped up on this forum, including the one about eating raw scallop roe.

If this is true, why do they always have cold hands and feet? Just asking...

Seriously. My fingers are usually freezing! If women all had hot hands, we wouldn't be suited to pastry either. There are a lot of things in pastry that you don't want to warm or melt when you touch them, like buttery doughs and chocolate.