• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing opened condensed milk

Hassouni

So I've always wondered, is it safe to keep an opened can of condensed milk outside the fridge? I mean, it's so sugary it has to keep, right? I ask because I only use a small amount on a daily basis, and it's much better in liquid form because dealing with a tablespoon when it's semi-solid is rather annoying.

I don't think leaving it out would be an issue - but I would remove it from the tin and store it in a sealed plastic container

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

From my own experience I know that mold will form on opened condensed milk. I was shocked. Now I store it in a squeeze bottle with a cap in the refrigerator. I keep it upside down in a small glass for leak insurance and it is always ready for a Vietnamese coffee. I think storing it upside down helps to keep the air out and hence the chance of mold spores but I'm no scientist.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I transfer it to a squeeze bottle (microwaveable) when I first open a can. I store it in the fridge and when needed, microwave it for 10 seconds which usually makes it runny enough to squeeze out what I need.

This way it will keep in the fridge for at least a month - I've always used it up within that time.

If you have a less powerful microwave - mine is 1100 W. it will take a few more seconds, but watch it!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I freeze the extra. DL's Vietnamese Ice Cream works out to 1 1/2 cans of condensed milk. So the rest of it goes into the freezer. Problem solves (for me).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Your problem is utterly foreign to me...leftover condensed milk? What is this thing? You mean you don't go at it with a spoon and finish it quickly?!

My thoughts exactly!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I used to be able to buy SCM in #10 size cans (for my caramel) and would be able to put a plastic lid on the can for storage, which was typically just a few days. Now Bordens (Eagle Brand) has been packaging their large sizes in plastic bags; better/lower cost to them, but each bag contains the equivalent of approx 3 #10 size cans. I've had to resort to plastic ware with tight fitting lids on them for storage -

Hmmm, I wonder what I could transfer a small amount into and boil for 4 hours to make Dulce de Leche? Now that would be an interesting find.....

Why?...because things stored in the tin sometimes start to taste like the tin once they are open...or the sides of the tin that are coated with the food get crusty and nasty...or you cut yourself on the tin, or bugs get in...lots of reasons, really :biggrin:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

On the occasions I have some left over (I hear you, Jenni!) I freeze it. The high sugar content means it doesn't actually get much more solid than when it's at room temperature.

This is somewhat topical, as my wife only this morning found a part-can had tipped over in our freezer, making a godawful mess!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Hmmm, I wonder what I could transfer a small amount into and boil for 4 hours to make Dulce de Leche? Now that would be an interesting find.....

I'm thinking a mason jar should work.