• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Common Food Mispronunciations and Misnomers

Fat Guy

fa-yeh, from what I know. But I also as far as I know think "Greek yogurt" is a sham. It's just labne, strained yogurt (or the Turkish version, süzme yoğurt). No yogurt in its natural state is that thick, even though yogurt in the Eastern Med and Middle East tends to be thicker than in the US or UK.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Bruschetta has a double T, so it's "bru-SKET-ta"

This past weekend, I was listening to The Splendid Table and I heard Lynn Rossetto Kasper pronounce it "bru-SHET-ta." I always thought this was a mis-pronunciation but she's Italian and I'm not. Is this a regional thing, perhaps?

Bruschetta has a double T, so it's "bru-SKET-ta"

This past weekend, I was listening to The Splendid Table and I heard Lynn Rossetto Kasper pronounce it "bru-SHET-ta." I always thought this was a mis-pronunciation but she's Italian and I'm not. Is this a regional thing, perhaps?

Lynn Rossetto Kasper is American. However, she's spent plenty of time in Italy, so I have no idea why she would pronounce 'bruschetta' that way; 'che' is always pronounced 'keh' in Italian.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

A frequently mispronounced food-related word is "restaurateur." It's like nails on a blackboard when I hear it mispronounced on the TV Food Network, or by NPR hosts who ought to know better.

"RestauraNteur," they say — that is, they insert an "N" in the middle of a word that has no "N".

The correct anglicized pronunciation is ress-ter-ruh-TUR. . .Dictionary.com has a sound clip:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/restaurateur

I believe that the spelling and pronunciation "restauranteur" has moved past being an error and is becoming the more commonly used spelling. Several dictionaries already list it as an alternate spelling.

Lots of foreign words that are adopted into English eventually get Anglicized.

ETA: Clarification

Huh. I had no idea that "restaurateur" is correct. Presumably I've seen it written that way any number of times but my brain added the "n" back in automatically.

And yet other singular/plurals that bug me:

Momo, shrimp, squid, moose, and sheep are all their own plurals. No such thing as Momos, shrimps, squids, mooses or meese, or sheeps. And yet I see it all the time. Meh.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Momo, shrimp, squid, moose, and sheep are all their own plurals. No such thing as Momos, shrimps, squids, mooses or meese, or sheeps. And yet I see it all the time. Meh.

RE: shrimp and squid

I had always thought the same thing but then every dictionary I've looked in lists both shrimp and shrimps and both squid and squids as proper plural forms. I haven't checked the OED but I'm betting it's the same there.

Edited: grammar

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

RE: shrimp and squid

I had always thought the same thing but then every dictionary I've looked in lists both shrimp and shrimps and both squid and squids as proper plural forms. I haven't checked the OED but I'm betting it's the same there.

Edited: grammar

The OED lists both options as acceptable (but the form with the terminal 's' always sounds so illiterate).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Someone might have mentioned this one already, but caught it on Food Network this weekend & it's been bugging me ever since...

"With au jus" - arrrggh!!! It's "au jus" only. Or "with jus". Not "with with jus".

How about 'Calphalon'? I've always said KAL-fa-lon.

But a friend insists the first L is silent, and that syllable is supposed to be pronounced 'kaf' like a baby cow: calf.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, I've never heard that. I mean your friend could be right, but I've always heard it as you say it.

Honestly, she's the only one I've ever heard say it that way as well. But she's so insistent (even rude) about it that I began to wonder if she might be right.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Michael Symon says -- in a Calphalon commercial -- CAL-fa-lon. Video here.

Wow, thanks! Ammunition.

This is going to settle it.

Heheh.

:cool:

Artful.

Not a food term, but one I see increasingly used in descriptions of food presentation to mean 'artistic'. Just say 'artistic', already; arranging your figs and prosciutto in the shape of a daisy may meet strike you as artistic, but by no stretch of the imagination is it particularly clever or skilful (i.e. 'artful').

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

here is a combination "Mispronunciation and Misnomer"

pilaf.

for starters, it is pronounced pee-lav, NOT pee-laf

second, the translation of pilaf is rice.

so when a menu lists "rice pilaf", it literally means "rice rice".

STOP IT! IT'S STUPID!

call it rice, or call it pilaf, but stop calling it rice pilaf, it makes no sense.

A waiter in an LA restaurant actually put down the gravy boat of jus three nights ago and remarked, "And here's more au jus on the side."

In a French restaurant that might be a faux pas, but in American English "au jus" is thought of as a side sauce, not its literal French meaning.

If you are at a deli and the waitress asked you "would you like jus, with your sandwich?", you would think her an idiot or pretentious. She is going to ask, "would you like au jus, with your sandwich?"

You can buy packets of "au jus" in any supermarket in the U.S., you are not buying a packet labeled "jus".

I asked some friends how to pronounce FAGE..spelling it out. I got three different pronunciations..can anyone help. It's the Greek Yoghurt Fage.

fa-yeh, from what I know.

I somehow missed this: according to the product packaging, it's pronounce "fah-YEH!" Don't forget the exclamation mark!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Shrimp scampi actually translates as shrimp shrimp. But scampi has come to mean a garlicky sauce and we now see sole scampi etc.

RE au jus... Guy Fieri will burn in hell for his egregious misuse of the term on TV. I knew in third grade that prime rib au jus was "with juices" . Clearly hair bleach depletes grey cells.