• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy Shaoxing rice wine online?

cbread

The title says it all. I can't find a good Shaoxing rice wine close to home. The biggest local asian mart just has the salted junk and elsewhere it is entirely missing. Is there any online purveyor?

Can anyone recopmmend a brand name also? The local State Liquor store would try to search if I have a brand name to aim them at.

Thanks!

C

The title says it all. I can't find a good Shaoxing rice wine close to home. The biggest local asian mart just has the salted junk and elsewhere it is entirely missing. Is there any online purveyor?

Can anyone recopmmend a brand name also? The local State Liquor store would try to search if I have a brand name to aim them at.

Thanks!

C

This any help?

click

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaoxing_wine#Producers has a list of some producers, most of whom seem to produce drinking grade stuff.

It mentions

Gǔ Yuè Lóng Shān (古越龍山)

Dì Jù Táng (帝聚堂)

Kuai ji Shan (doesn't specify)

Tǔ Shào Jiǔ (土绍酒)

I don't know where you live, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding an online source that sells drinking grade Shaoxing wine to the US / Canada market. The demand is low, and probably concentrated mostly in areas with a large Asian population.

Shào xīng is the standard Hanyu pinyin for 绍兴 (pronounced in Mandarin with a falling tone and then a high flat tone, roughly 'shao sheeng' (with the tongue curled back for the first 'sh') or 'sao sheeng' (most Southern Chinese and Taiwanese don't pronounce the sh / zh / ch sounds in the standard way)), however, because it's been sold in the West for so long, many other romanizations are common.

Just to make sure, have you looked in other parts of your local Asian market besides where the cooking wine is sold, and are there any bigger / better Asian markets within driving distance? You mention the state liquor stores - are grocery stores even allowed to sell non-cooking alcohol where you live?

The bottle in front of me says: Shao xing rice wine. Cheng Brand. Shaoxing East Asia Inp & Exp Co. Ltd. Imported by Four Seasons Trading Company. There is another one, but it has more Chinese than English on it, and I'll have to get help to tell you what it says.