• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Gifts 2011

Goatjunky

I'm doing chocolate covered toffee (recipe posted in recipe section, BTW), cookies, marshmallows, and maybe the popcorn recipe posted here (Jaymes). I like to do little gift bags with a selection of goodies.

I've got the makings for a huge honkin' batch of bacon jam, which I think I'll can for gift-giving and preservation purposes. Homemade crackers. Pralines, because I can't not do pralines. Some fudge, because I can't not do fudge. Lots of pumpkin bread (found a kickass recipe that I love). More to be determined, but probably to include breads of some sort.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

...Pralines, because I can't not do pralines. ....

I think I need to apprentice under you :wink: . My name is KA and I am a praline addict. :wub:

I need not-sweet treats. Other than cheese straws in variations (w spice, w diff cheeses, w herbs), I'm drawing a blank.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I need not-sweet treats. Other than cheese straws in variations (w spice, w diff cheeses, w herbs), I'm drawing a blank.

There are the ubiquitous seasoned oyster crackers. They're so good. You might do some sort of a riff on the traditional seasonings if you want to change up the flavors a bit.

In the south, lots of folks like "Texas Caviar," which are hot pickled black-eyed peas, good for eating on New Year's Day. The Homesick Texan explains Texas Caviar

Also Mexican-style pickled jalapenos, carrots, onions, cauliflower - escabeche.

Cheeses and cheese spreads, pates, vanilla, liqueurs, herb/spice mixes, sauces, salsas, biscotti, chutneys.

If you close your eyes and picture a friend arriving at your front door bearing a basketload of goodies, what are you hoping you'll see in it?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

--Olive oil wine biscuits

--cranberry or apricot chutney. I am linking to the recipe for the latter because everyone begs for it

--true biscotti di prato, such as from Bugialli's cookbook, which are not that sweet and make an outstanding gift with a bottle of vin santo, for dipping

--Parker House or similar dinner rolls; everybody loves 'em

Just made up a batch of "Blizzard Bites in a Jar". Looked interesting and hope it'll be yummy! I've put them into nice jars from Dollarama. Made these for my colleagues - something different than Nuts and Bolts. I couldn't find dried pineapple, so I used snipped dried mango.

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/recipes/gifts-in-a-jar/blizzard-bites

I also make pans of "bird seed bars" and Abby's Toffee - much like Almond Roca except in pieces like "bark", as part of my Christmas food gifts.

Can't remember the source for the following recipe, but I hope I'm not breaking any copyright rules... :hmmm:

BIRDSEED BAR

1 cup sesame seeds

1 cup sunflower seeds

(I used roasted/salted pumpkin seeds along with sunflower seeds)

1 cup coconut

1 cup chopped cashew nuts/any kind of nuts

(I prefer pecans or walnuts)

1 cup sultanas/ or dried cranberries

100g butter

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup brown sugar

Heat the first four ingredients, one after another in a large frying

pan, until toasted and lightly browned. Mix with sultanas in a

large bowl.

Heat butter, honey and brown sugar to the soft ball stage, then

pour over mixture in bowl. Mix well.

Press into pan so it is 2cm thick. When nearly cold, cut into

bars. Store in airtight container.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How about savory biscotti? There are a lot of variations and, if properly made, they store really well for months. -Perfect gift basket fare.

Just had a baking blitz yesterday, and made a new (to me) recipe for spiced nuts that is out of this world. Best spiced / glazed nuts I've ever had, made with rosemary, chipotle, orange, and some maple syrup. Here's the recipe...

Ina's Rosemary Chipotle Glazed Nuts

Two changes I made to the recipe:

1) is to add about half an orange's worth of zest in addition to the orange juice.

2) to cut down on the chipotle ( from 2 tsp to 1.25 tsp) and on the salt (from 4 tsps total to closer to two).

Seriously, these are amazing.

Why I have been so busy the last week.

lollies for Humane Society.JPG

5 dozen lollipops for the Moab Valley Humane Society to sell at their Dog Adoption Day.

Boxes for MVHS volunteers.JPG

30 gift 1/2 Christmas boxes of Chocolate Coated Almond Toffee and Nut and Seed Brittle for the Society's volunteers.

This is what makes Christmas food gifts really good for me. DH helped package everything.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

10 bags of Jayme's caramel corn were delivered to the workmates today. It's always fun to see the faces of the "oldsters" who know what's in those bags. I use the holiday themed paper lunch bags, so they each get more than a quart of corn. The comments from newbies are always fun. My new boss said, "Wow! That stuff is really good and I've never had anything like it... buttery, salty, sweet!" :blink:

Another of the newbies said, "Thanks so much! This stuff is addicting!"

Starting more now, so the hubster can take it to his workmates on Monday.