• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London from Christmas to early Jan.

So ill be in London from Christmas until the 6th of Jan and i feel kinda out of the loop at the scene going on over there. I know i want to try St Johns, ive heard its worth it and im a big fan of bone marrow so just trying that would make me happy. Obviously the Fat Duck would be terrific but their closed during the period im there and im not sure the family is willing to spend that amount of money.

So im looking for something that may be interesting, new or thats really cool which should be checked out. Since i'm staying with family, are there also any farmer markets open at that time that need looking at?

cheers

Well, Borough market is open year-round, and that's pretty fantastic if you've never been. This isn't really cutting edge, but over in Fitzrovia (Goodge Street or Charlotte Street perhaps) there's a row of really excellent Spanish places, very authentic and excellent food. I think I mention them because here in DC there isn't that much Spanish to be had.

I'll be there from the 14th until Boxing Day.

I've learned that London basically shuts down for Christmas. Don't expect much at all to be open. But there's also next to no traffic, which makes a stroll along the Thames very photogenic. (But, again, nothing is open.)

I'm planning on having a few pints at the Porcupine Pub on Charing Cross near Nelson's column on Christmas Day, if anyone wants to join us.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Whats so special about the Porcupine Pub? Might be interesting to meet a fellow egulleter though! Enjoyed reading about your experiences in Vegas.

It's open on Christmas. All the "Nichols Pubs" are. The Porcupine just happens to be within walking distance from our hotel.

The Young Turks at Ten Bells open their January bookings tomorrow morning (UK time). While the cooking isn't always "world-class" it's always interesting and a pretty good value for £39 a head in a fun room.

It's cool to do if you wanna do something that you can never do again - you'll have to move quickly though as they get booked up and shift to waitlists pretty fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Porcupine Pub -- 48 Charing Cross Rd., Leicester Square

I will be there 12/16 in the late afternoon, and again on Christmas Day, in the afternoon. And to make things easy, I'll be wearing a shirt I bought at the Porcupine Grill in Salt Lake City. Hard to miss me, anyway...

(I wonder how many Porcupine bars there are worldwide? I've knocked out two of them already. Maybe there are others?)

Piracer - Christmas in London is weird, though to be honest, most places will be open, certainly from Tues 27th up to New Year. It's the first and second week of Jan where restaurants will take a break.

The hottest ticket in town right now is The Ledbury. I'm assuming they're rammed, but do check over the period you're there and see if they have any availability that could work for both of you.

For overall experiences some of the grand hotels are worth a shout just to see their OTT decorations alone. Think The Grill Room at The Savoy (Gordon Ramsey); Helene Darroze at The Connaught or Ducasse at The Dorchester. The latter, considering it's a three star, does a sensational £50 set lunch that includes all the pre and post treats you could hope for, two glasses of wine and a half bottle of water per person.

Plenty of gastropubs to go at too, though if St.John takes your fancy you should try the Harwood Arms in Fulham or Great Queen St in Covent Garden. Staying in Covent Garden, and although it's more of a steak house, Hawksmoor is deserving of a mention. Plenty of excellently sourced British produce done well.

I could go on though that should help for now.

I would consider Pied a Terre. Marcus Eaves is somebody who'll go far, and you'll have eaten 2* food in a 1* restaurant: a nice feeling.

If you do want to go there, it would have to be before Christmas. This was in a recent newsletter I received:

Christmas Opening hours

Pied à Terre

Closed: December 24th – January 5th (lunch)

Reopens: January 5th for dinner

L'Autre Pied

Closed: December 24th – 28th (lunch)

Reopens: December 28th for dinner reservations

Open New Year’s Eve,

Thanks Judy. No good for me but looks ideal as the last day dinner for Piracer!

(I am using my 27-30 December in London to have a back to back sample of traditional and modern italian with Apsleys and Locatelli, and then to try two places that for me are long overdue, Medlar and Petrus.)