• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Jerky

GlorifiedRice

I was checking out at Walmart (I know I know) the other day and saw these

GYE2A.jpg

You betcha I bought em!

Opened up the package and this is what I had

7VUq9.jpg

It was delicious, but it was just cooked thick bacon. It wasnt chewy jerky.

But it was good to satisfy a bacon craving...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to revive an older discussion but this week I found Oscar Meyer Bacon Jerky (<- click) in the store. It's at the bottom of the listing of Bacon products on the Oscar Meyer web page. It comes in two flavors: Teriyaki Ginger Seasoned and Bourbon Barbecue Seasoned.

I bought the Teriyaki Ginger Seasoned Bacon. It mostly tastes just like bacon but with the barest hint of teriyaki sauce. I can't discern any ginger flavor whatsoever. And it's not very jerk-like. It's like eating chewy bacon. If you enjoy bacon, you'll enjoy this snack but don't expect to taste the Teriyaki Ginger flavoring.

I am in hopes to go back and buy the other flavor and will report back soon. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got around to trying the Oscar Mayer Bourbon Barbecue Seasoned Bacon Jerky that I mentioned in the post above. 

It's basically chewy bacon with just a hint of bourbon flavor. And when I say "hint", I mean as in barely there.

I think if it was more jerky-like instead of just like chewy bacon, it'd be a better buy. I liked this flavor better than the Teriyaki Ginger Seasoned bacon jerky but it could still stand some improvement.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...