• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I still have pounds and pounds of Rancho Gordo that aren't getting any younger.  Tomorrow has to be beans.  Any suggestions?  When daylight comes I may post my inventory.

What I want is a simple batch of beans to accompany a Mexican meal.

My personal favorite to go with a Mexican meal is cranberry beans. Cook 'em an hour on high pressure (with no soak) with some onion, garlic and olive oil, a little cumin, a little smoked paprika. Salt and mash with a potato masher, let 'em simmer until they're as thick as you want. Hard to beat, particularly topped with some queso fresco.

kayb

kayb

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I still have pounds and pounds of Rancho Gordo that aren't getting any younger.  Tomorrow has to be beans.  Any suggestions?  When daylight comes I may post my inventory.

What I want is a simple batch of beans to accompany a Mexican meal.

My personal favorite is cranberry beans. Cook 'em an hour on high pressure (with no soak) with some onion, garlic and olive oil, a little cumin, a little smoked paprika. Salt and mash with a potato masher, let 'em simmer until they're as thick as you want. Hard to beat, particularly topped with some queso fresco.