• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decent hand grinder for coffee

Many years ago I used a Corona hand grain mill to grind coffee beans and, as I remember, it did okay. I have a brand new one in the attic and maybe I ought to get it out and use it as the Cuisinart electric coffee grinder I have doesn't do a very good job. However, the Corona, especially when milling the harder grains needs to be clamped to something quite sturdy - and at table height as counters are too high to operate comfortably. Though coffee beans are quite soft so sturdiness wouldn't be as great a concern.

Here's one for $50 new at a home brew supply place. Should be able to find one for less than $50 though.

This Christian website doesn't sell them, but offers them for a $49 "donation". They have what appears to be an independent review. Makes me want to get out mine and start milling fresh grain. :smile:The Whole Truth.

Here's another independent opinion at a survivalist site. "I love this mill. It is strong, robust and well made. This is the mill I use most often to grind grains and beans here at the homestead ...I give it my highest recommendation." Click here.

Finally, a bunch of different hand mills at Amazon.

Thanks for the info. The only thing is i'm really looking for a place to buy a manual burr grinder in Montreal. I've done a lot of research and have found many sites selling grinders but I'd prefer to buy it locally. Next time I go downtown, i'll try talking with Anthony at Myriade to see if he has any cues on this.