• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Simon Patrice

Decent hand grinder for coffee

6 posts in this topic

I'm looking to buy a decent coffee grinder (non-electrical) but would like to buy it in Montreal instead of buying online. I was looking at the Hario Skerton or mini, Zassenhaus, Kyocera and the likes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks, I saw it but 200-300$ is way too expensive for what I'm looking for. I will use the freshly grounded coffee in a french press and maybe, eventually in a Cafe Solo from Eva Solo.

Many years ago I used a Corona hand grain mill to grind coffee beans and, as I remember, it did okay. I have a brand new one in the attic and maybe I ought to get it out and use it as the Cuisinart electric coffee grinder I have doesn't do a very good job. However, the Corona, especially when milling the harder grains needs to be clamped to something quite sturdy - and at table height as counters are too high to operate comfortably. Though coffee beans are quite soft so sturdiness wouldn't be as great a concern.

Here's one for $50 new at a home brew supply place. Should be able to find one for less than $50 though.

This Christian website doesn't sell them, but offers them for a $49 "donation". They have what appears to be an independent review. Makes me want to get out mine and start milling fresh grain. :smile:The Whole Truth.

Here's another independent opinion at a survivalist site. "I love this mill. It is strong, robust and well made. This is the mill I use most often to grind grains and beans here at the homestead ...I give it my highest recommendation." Click here.

Finally, a bunch of different hand mills at Amazon.

Thanks for the info. The only thing is i'm really looking for a place to buy a manual burr grinder in Montreal. I've done a lot of research and have found many sites selling grinders but I'd prefer to buy it locally. Next time I go downtown, i'll try talking with Anthony at Myriade to see if he has any cues on this.

While I'm not sure if a Corona will grind coffee beans well enough for what you want, there must be some place in Montreal that sells them? Maybe check with people at food coops.