• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local seasonal ingredients

When you appeared on Christine Cushing's show you indicated that you appreciated living in New York as it allowed you to experiment with many different international ingredients whille still cooking with classic French techniques.

In A Return to Cooking, there is this wonderful line - "...cooking for the landscape, letting place determine the menu", which reflects your attraction to using local seasonal ingredients to create inspiring dishes.

Are there other regions in the world where you would like to spend some time in order to explore its indigenous fresh food ingredients to further develop artistically and personally as a chef? What would these ingredients be that you could not get from or prefer not to get from your New York suppliers?

I would love to travel the world. I am very curious and every continent attracts me a lot. I have a real fascination for South America and the Mediterranean.

Now, I do not know what I would find there that is not available in NY; I guess I just have to go and check it out for myself.