• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knorr homestyle stock cubes

gfweb

I wonder if they are different here in Canada - because these things are frickin fantastic. No, they aren't homemade,but they are far superior to the dry cubes, and have more flavor than the canned broth. One cube is meant for three cups of liquid, so yeah, they can be salty of you use them in a more concentrated form, but I don't find them unreasonably so. And they really do smell great. As a convenience product, they are certainly better than some of the alternatives.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

the web site under amount of sodium in one cup says: 30.

but its % daily so thats 250 mg or so. on cube makes 14 x 250 mg / 'cube'

3500 mg. thats a lot

but commercial soups and canned stuff would not move off the shelf without large amounts of sodium in it.

its one of the three major food groups:

sodium, sugar, and fats.

:blink:

the web site under amount of sodium in one cup says: 30.

but its % daily so thats 250 mg or so. on cube makes 14 x 250 mg / 'cube'

3500 mg. thats a lot

but commercial soups and canned stuff would not move off the shelf without large amounts of sodium in it.

its one of the three major food groups:

sodium, sugar, and fats.

:blink:

Each plastic tub makes 3.5 cups. 4 X 3.5 = 14

So thats 3500mg in 14 cups of broth. I LIKE my gravy but I cannot eat 14 cups of gravy in one sitting. So 250 mg per cup of product isn't that bad for the normal final serving size.

I do agree that most prepared foods have WAY too much fats, salt and sugar.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

We all say that we think prepared food has too much salt, then on a cooking thread we'll all go on about how undersalting is a sin. Its kinda funny. Granted, salt is a cheap (these days) and easy flavor enhancer. What's wrong with that?

Why do we think its 'too much' salt? Its detrimental to a small percentage of society with a genetic tendency to salt-sensitive blood pressure. The rest of us just need to remember to drink enough to flush the salt back out again.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Each plastic tub makes 3.5 cups. 4 X 3.5 = 14

So thats 3500mg in 14 cups of broth. I LIKE my gravy but I cannot eat 14 cups of gravy in one sitting. So 250 mg per cup of product isn't that bad for the normal final serving size.

I do agree that most prepared foods have WAY too much fats, salt and sugar.

I am a fan of these things but I have to point out that my package purchased in Canada lists the sodium content of 250 ml of prepared product as 850 mg.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We all say that we think prepared food has too much salt, then on a cooking thread we'll all go on about how undersalting is a sin. Its kinda funny. Granted, salt is a cheap (these days) and easy flavor enhancer. What's wrong with that?

Why do we think its 'too much' salt? Its detrimental to a small percentage of society with a genetic tendency to salt-sensitive blood pressure. The rest of us just need to remember to drink enough to flush the salt back out again.

I don't care about health reasons for salt. I say things have too much salt when they taste too salty to me. I like to control the amount of salt i put in to something, instead of having it dictated by my additions.

Assuming there isn't another "oh wow" thread about this... has anyone else seen the Knorr commercials featuring Marco Pierre White?

Kind of blew my mind....

That commercial was a real double take the first time I saw it. I was waiting for one of his kids to throw the dish at him and dress him down for daring to serve such crap.

The funny thing about fat, sugar, and salt is that they can all be used as preservatives. Frozen prepared food is, weirdly, often the best of the lot.

If these are good, I could definitely make use of them - I don't use a lot of broth, and something shelf-stable would be a boon.

I am trying the beef flavored stock again today. The first use was in a braise for a beef roast with root veg. Turned out quite nice. NOT as good as homemade but actually something the wife and I found we would use again.

It was not salty but I did not add any salt.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Assuming there isn't another "oh wow" thread about this... has anyone else seen the Knorr commercials featuring Marco Pierre White?

Kind of blew my mind....

That commercial was a real double take the first time I saw it. I was waiting for one of his kids to throw the dish at him and dress him down for daring to serve such crap.

I wonder if this is stirred personally with Marco's giant finger.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.