• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional food in Hungary (not just Budapest)

ianinfrance

Hi,

My brother and I are half Hungarian and are keen to go back to Hungary before the cuisine is internationalised out of existence.

We are planning to go there next fall, spending about half our time in Budapest, which after all, is important in culinary terms. But we're also planning on visiting one or two of the major provincial cities - perhaps Szeged and Debrecen which both have considerable claim to excellence. Even Eger is possible.

The last discussions date back to 2004 and there have been a lot of changes since then. So can anyone please help, or give us a tip as to who can perhaps give us a steer in the right direction.

We don't want to eat hungarianised Euro food or modernist marriages, but real old fashioned Magyár nosh. Stuff like Transylvanian layered cabbage, or a proper bográc gulyás etc. And if we put on weight for those ten days, so be it!!

All the best

Ian (yes in France)

When I worked in Hungary a few years ago, www.chew.hu was a good source of food and restaurant information (though I haven't looked at it for a while).

Thanks very much Nayan,. I'll go and have a look.

Thanks Mark, but no I'm afraid I don't. Although I'm half hungarian, it's my lower half, :biggrin: so I didn't learn to speak it. However I have to confess to knowing about twenty words. BUT unfortunately having heard quite a bit spoken in early childhood, I speak those few words with a very good accent, which causes great problems, when they rattle back at me.

Edited by ianinfrance (log)

All the best

Ian (yes in France)