• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallops [Merged Topic]

awbrig

On February 11, 2016 at 5:29 PM, kayb said:

Can I use this method with frozen scallops? I've ordered some from Schwan's, if they ever show up (delivery had been cancelled/date changed for the THIRD time now....), and I'd love to try this.

Also, can you give me an approximate range of times for different sizes?

Thanks!

That s.v. method should work fine for frozen scallops. I'd expect a bit more moisture loss. And I'd make sure to include the brine step.

Here's a good starting point for time:

1” diameter: 40 minutes

1.5” diameter: 80 minutes

2” diameter:  120 minutes

2.5” diameter: 40 minutes (don’t roll. ziploc bag with space between scallops)

Here's a more exact formula for the brine:

Water 100% 

ice 20%

salt 6% (will be 5% after ice melts)

sugar 4.2% (will be 3.5% after ice melts)

-disolve sugar and salt into room temperature water in a plastic container

-stir in ice and add scallops

-cover and hold in refrigerator for 30 minutes

-drain and replace brine with plain icewater

-soak for 10 minutes

Notes from the underbelly

On 2/12/2016 at 1:38 PM, johnnyd said:

On occasion, I went diving for scallops here in Maine, and the rule was to shuck each scallop so that the boat ties up with only the mussel meat on board.  Apparently, the corral is way more perishable than the meat, so it affects shelf life as a whole going to the consumer.  The American taste for them never developed as it did in Europe, so there was no call to change things.

Being close to area chefs, we secreted a few whole shellfish unshucked for those who asked. There is an outfit somewhere in Mass.that ships them whole, so I guess the law is different there:  http://www.farm-2-market.com/fish-seafood/scallops/fresh-sea-scallops-with-roe/

Some restaurants in Chinatown (Boston) serve broiled scallops on the shell in season, some of them come with the corral attached. The whole thing is covered with finely minced garlic and oil.  So good...

Edited by LindaK (log)
  • Like 2

On 11 February 2016 at 2:49 AM, scubadoo97 said:

Paul, how are you securing the scallops in the plastic wrap and in the bath?   I've done scallops SV before but it's been a long time.  Pretty sure they weren't frozen since they would have needed to be cleaned of grit and the abductor muscle but probably, lightly sealed in a vac bag and kept submerged.

Would love to try your method.  I have everything but the glucose

Here, with pictures.

• Like 1

Chris, the way I secured the plastic wrap is exactly like what you did, only instead of bagging after the first layer of wrap, I added a second one. Take those pigtails of plastic and fold them parallel with the roll, and then put the second layer over this, to keep it all from unravelling. Dave Arnold demos this method at cookingissues.com ... it's their way of sous-viding anything tube-shaped. 

I don't remember needing to do anything to secure the roll in the water bath.

It looks like you're getting a nice sear without any added glucose. If you want to try it with the enhancement but don't want to buy powdered glucose/dextrose, you can use any reducing sugar. This would include corn syrup, invert sugar, honey, or fructose. Unfortunately table sugar won't be as effective.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 2/13/2016 at 11:41 AM, paulraphael said:

That s.v. method should work fine for frozen scallops. I'd expect a bit more moisture loss. And I'd make sure to include the brine step.

Here's a good starting point for time:

1” diameter: 40 minutes

1.5” diameter: 80 minutes

2” diameter:  120 minutes

2.5” diameter: 40 minutes (don’t roll. ziploc bag with space between scallops)

Here's a more exact formula for the brine:

Water 100% 

ice 20%

salt 6% (will be 5% after ice melts)

sugar 4.2% (will be 3.5% after ice melts)

-disolve sugar and salt into room temperature water in a plastic container

-stir in ice and add scallops

-cover and hold in refrigerator for 30 minutes

-drain and replace brine with plain icewater

-soak for 10 minutes

Thanks! Saturday night, if the Schwan's order gets here tomorrow evening as scheduled!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, dcarch said:

So, everyone sears scallops top and bottom. How about sear them on the sides?

My first thought is, "You show-off :P," second is "Wow, would I ever love to eat that dish - every last bite!"

So gorgeous and thanks for sharing!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

here is an old thread Ive found :

every time Ive had the Parisienne  they had mashed potatoes 'piped' around the dish before the broiling

I can't find a pic !

this is the only one Ive found :

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3236/scallops-with-mushrooms-and-white-wine-coquilles-s

the M.P.'s are around the central scallops.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Ha! trying to make them look like squids.

dcarch

You outdid yourself.  Now I have to make squid look like beets....

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

This weekend, for my first time I cooked with scallops in shells.
I was surprised that both taste and texture was different from thoose without shells.
First is scallops with lemon air, chili and chives and the other is, scallops in bell pepper coulis with parsley, chives, chorizo and chili.

DSC_9239.thumb.JPG.a8aafe40dc5acb74d9766DSC_9244.thumb.JPG.1b8ba32aef3fde11b0787

Edited by Sparren (log)
  • Like 7