• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallops [Merged Topic]

awbrig

You can usually tell by oder and the amount of water surrounding the scallops in the containers.  Dry scallops are just that (dry).  Treated scallops look like they are swimming in liquid.

In addition to Nick's visual checklist, I would add (as Jin pointed out earlier) that properly treated sea scallops will not be snow-white. They should be off-white to light ivory.

Very slightly off-topic: if you go for bay scallops, watch out for those dark-ivory to light brown little guys (they actually look like they've already been cooked), which are calico scallops but often sold as bays. Real bay scallops can be very good. I wouldn't even give calicos to my cat.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Very slightly off-topic: if you go for bay scallops, watch out for those dark-ivory to light brown little guys (they actually look like they've already been cooked), which are calico scallops but often sold as bays. Real bay scallops can be very good. I wouldn't even give calicos to my cat.

I guess I've never had real bay scallops. Ten years ago or so supermarkets here tried selling Calicos as bay scallops. I fell for it. You're right. Not worth feeding to a cat.

I may be exposing myself as a rube here, but I've found Trader Joes frozen bay and sea scallops to be excellent. Much better that the stuff sold "fresh" (usually previously frozen and oozing lots of milky liquid) in local supermarkets.

By the way, I made this recipe for Sauteed Scallops with Fennel Compote in Curry Sauce from Le Bec Fin as an appetizer for Thanksgiving last year. It was fabulous and not at all difficult.

Seared Scallops with Bacon and Pistachio Dressing

Sounds very nice. Could you tell me a bit more about the dressing?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pistachio Dressing

Toasted Pistachio nuts about 4oz

Blitzed with hand blender with spoon coarse grain mustard, good splash white wine vinegar, few Basil leaves,.when smooth, add EVOO untill the dessired consistancy.Oh salt and pepper to taste.

This can split easily, so a dash of hot water whisked in will bring it back

Pistachio Dressing

Toasted Pistachio nuts about 4oz

Blitzed with hand blender with spoon coarse grain mustard, good splash white wine vinegar, few Basil leaves,.when smooth, add EVOO untill the dessired consistancy.Oh salt and pepper to taste.

This can split easily, so a dash of hot water whisked in will bring it back

So what do I do with this here bacon?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks, Adrian.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Only had ours i'm afraid,but i'm assuming there the same thing.Kings, Queens ,Diver ,Day boat, etc all ring bells here.An American told me that they stamp out Skate wings into discs and sell them as fake scallops on your side of the pond?:wacko:

Oh not that old biscuit again.

BD, do me a favor. Never disuade a yank from that opinion. It means more great scallops for the rest of us.

In 25 years, I have never EVER seen this happen. One of those urban legends.

Nick

Only had ours i'm afraid,but i'm assuming there the same thing.Kings, Queens ,Diver ,Day boat, etc all ring bells here.An American told me that they stamp out Skate wings into discs and sell them as fake scallops on your side of the pond?:wacko:

Oh not that old biscuit again.

BD, do me a favor. Never disuade a yank from that opinion. It means more great scallops for the rest of us.

In 25 years, I have never EVER seen this happen. One of those urban legends.

Nick

I've never seen it either, in 40 years of scallop gluttony. I believe the story was lent considerable veracity by the book (not the movie) Jaws, in which the scam is described.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Nick, I know they taste sweet when they're fresh. I love to order them when we go out for sushi, either as is or in a roll with spicy sauce. And I'm a sucker for any type of pan seared scallop. I just haven't been able to get the quality I'd like for home cooking -- just means I need to make my sweetie take me out more often :biggrin:.

An American told me that they stamp out Skate wings into discs and sell them as fake scallops on your side of the pond?:wacko:

Indeed they do. After getting out of the Navy, I spent a late summer and early fall cranking them out by the thousands with a 2" arch punch.

L_149.jpg

Mario, a nice guy from the North End, set me up. Low cost operation. Punch, hammer, board, fish trays. :cool:

An American told me that they stamp out Skate wings into discs and sell them as fake scallops on your side of the pond?:wacko:

Indeed they do. After getting out of the Navy, I spent a late summer and early fall cranking them out by the thousands with a 2" arch punch.

L_149.jpg

Mario, a nice guy from the North End, set me up. Low cost operation. Punch, hammer, board, fish trays. :cool:

Who would buy such things? I've cooked plenty of scallops and plenty of skate wings. They are so completely unrelated.

I think this practice disappeared before I got involved in the industry. Like I said. I've never seen it. McClane references the practice in the Encyclopedia of Fish Cookery.

Nick

Isn't the grain of the meat in the wrong direction, i.e., parallel rather than perpendicular to the circular surfaces?

Well...yeah!?! They just seem so obviously...well...different.

edit: the scallop grain is so much finer and denser. To say nothing about the flavor.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

I had scallops at a usually fine restaurant last week that were completely tasteless.  The didn't smell or taste off, just flavorless.  Is this a sign of soaking the scallops?

If this was answered, sorry I didn't see it. Any comments?

beachfan