• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallops [Merged Topic]

awbrig

I like scallops but have never cooked with them before, hence never purchased them. I need to get large sea scallops for my recipe. I have looked around and havent seen large sea scallops - just bay scallops - even at Whole Foods. Are large sea scallops difficult to find, on average and also what should I look for when buying scallops at the store or any other input on buying and cooking w scallops. Thanks!

The recipe, btw, is Sauteed Sea Scallops with Braised Legumes, Crispy Leeks and Red Wine Viniagrette...

brig, they should be easy to find. Is there a fishmonger's you deal with? If not, there should be.

If the scallops are in or exude a milky liquid, they've been pumped with water to make them heavier. Say, "Fie!" and turn your back on that den of sin and look elsewhere. Go for U10 or larger.

"Should smell like the sea" etc.

Not stark white, not yellowed.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you want very serious sea scallops, this is the time to get them from Browne Trading. The season in Maine opened on December 1.

http://www.browne-trading.com/seafood.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pan Seared in olive oil. Balsamic reduction is a common preparation as are any number of asian type sauces. Citrus juice in the sauces to add acidity works real well. I also had them pan seared with a apple cider buerre blanc at Rosemary's recently in Las Vegas, it was awesome done that way.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you want very serious sea scallops, this is the time to get them from Browne Trading. The season in Maine opened on December 1.

http://www.browne-trading.com/seafood.html

Arrrrrr, mateys.

I wonder about shipping to Canada. I can't seem to get scallop roe in Ottawa at all and those diver's scallops look to be the thing.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

1. Use very hot, heavy bottom sautee pan. I prefer not non-stick

2. wash and dry them carefully before cooking.

3. don't crowd the scallops, you don't want to steam them. If the pan won't hold all of them for the seating, use two pans or cook in batches.

4. cayenne pepper brings out wonderful flavor in scallops. (red pepper flakes work well too)

5. If they are large, sear them on one side then use a tongs to turn them over. Some chefs actually hold the sides to the heat with the tongs to get even searing all around.

6. Don't overcook. They'll get rubbery. (maybe get a couple extra to practice on first so you get an idea of the right consistency and timing. This is critical to a good result. Cook scallops just before serving. Plate (on heated plates) and serve quickly.

7. Olive oil mixed with butter is a good fat to use.

8. deglaze the pan with white wine, add a little cream and reduce to make a nice sauce. add herbs and sprinkle with chopped parsley. chopped fresh garlic is good in small quantities if you like it. thinly sliced ginger is good too as a garnish.

9. It is nice to serve four or five large scallops, but you can also quarter them if you want to serve over rice.

Edited by jaybee (log)

I wash them because they sometimes develop a slight sticky film around them that I prefer to wash off. Maybe I shouldn't but I always do. I wash all fish off with fresh cold water and pat dry before cooking. Am I wrong to do that?

I use non-stick because it seems to develop a better sear, but the difference is subtle. With enough butter and oil it works fine. My LTD non-stick also works well.

Edited by jaybee (log)

i agree with fat guy, awbrig. i get most of my seafood through browne trading company, and most of the times (depending on when you order during the day) they can have your purchase at your doorstep the next day (sometimes it takes 2 days). the quality is amazing, obviously, and prices are damned reasonable (shipping is where you spend most of your money).

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

"Same Day Dive Scallops...strictly fresh, NOT soaked in fresh water.

$60 a gallon (8# gallon)delivered within reason distance.

832-6689, lv. message "

Maine Dive Scallops

Don't know if he'll ship and I haven't had his scallops (I usually get them free), but he has a good rep.

I do them one of two ways - these are fairly large ones.

1) Cut them in half (in height), saute in butter until very lightly browned and serve with lemon slices to drizzle and some parmesan cheese to finely grate over them.

2) Wrap whole large scallops with good bacon secured with a toothpick and broil until done.

ive done browne trading for caviar a few times and I like them a lot, and I know Charlie T gets some of his seafood from them. I would like to get a few Diver scallops or sea scallops locally - dont want to spend $ on shipping or get too much - since I am only cooking for my wife and myself...it is for our XMAS dinner this Friday...

Can anyone tell the difference between Diver and Sea scallops or is it miniscule?

Edited by awbrig (log)

Can anyone tell the difference between Diver and Sea scallops or is it miniscule?

Last I knew, there's no way to tell the difference between them. They're all sea scallops. Some are dived and most are dragged. In the drag scallops you get into the difference between big boat and small (day) boat. Big boat is out for 10-14 days with all that that means.

As far as the difference between dive scallops and day boat scallops, there's no difference in the scallops as far as quality so long as whoever is doing it cares about what they're doing.

Some people get into the environmental considerations of dragging vs. diving. I've got to get to bed, so I'll leave that alone.

Awbrig - sounds like a Trotter recipe

You would be correct on that one JohnJohn :smile: I havent tried any of CTs scallop recipes so im excited about this...The seared fresh scallops combined with the beans will make a nice hearty yet sophisticated dish, I think! I would post pics but I think people are on aw photo overload at the moment... :smile: and rightfully so! so am I :laugh:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Last I knew, there's no way to tell the difference between them. They're all sea scallops. Some are dived and most are dragged. In the drag scallops you get into the difference between big boat and small (day) boat. Big boat is out for 10-14 days with all that that means.

As far as the difference between dive scallops and day boat scallops, there's no difference in the scallops as far as quality so long as whoever is doing it cares about what they're doing.

Some people get into the environmental considerations of dragging vs. diving. I've got to get to bed, so I'll leave that alone.

What Nickn said, but my experience is that the scuba dived scallops are in a little better physical shape (tearing of meat and such).

I have only washed (the quickest of rinses) a bay scallop when they come in sandy. I've never had the problem with a sea scallop.

Jaybee- just pull off the side muscle. Don't wash unless really gritty. Peel off what you can of that mucous membrane by hand.

Awbrig-Must have a couple or three high end retail fishmongers in Chitown, no? I don't know about pricing but the price you got from Nickn's buddy is a pretty low one. Possibly a dockside wholesale price. Tho' what you'll do with 8 pounds of divers...well.. you could throw an eGullet Chitown party! Don't buy and freeze. defeats the purpose, IMO>

Cheers

Nick :smile:

I wash them because they sometimes develop a slight sticky film around them that I prefer to wash off.  Maybe I shouldn't but I always do.  I wash all fish off with fresh cold water and pat dry before cooking.  Am I wrong to do that?

I use non-stick because it seems to develop a better sear, but the difference is subtle.  With enough butter and oil it works fine.  My LTD non-stick also works well.

Washing often also washed away some of the most essential flavor of seafood.

It is thus best to wipe off what you think could be necessary... But rinsing under a tap makes you lose what many would cherish.

I remember being in a restaurant in LA, the chef was preparing oysters for a party. While he was not paying attention one of the line cooks had taken all the oysters and washed them in running water. I remember our very own Ed Schoenfeld was at the table. The chef asked him what he thought of those great malpeques he had ordered, and Ed, not having been into the kitchen, simply said they tasted watered down. The chef was visibly upset and said there was no way his kitchen could do something that silly, and then I brought what I saw to the chefs attention. The chef had found another reason to respect Ed. Here was a man sitting at the table, tasting the oysters with a group of several others, and at the table, he caught what had happened in the kitchen.

So, now you know why washing sea food is not always a great idea. Unless of course it is sandy and gritty. :smile:

Suvir i have not heard of this before. Very Interesting! I do believe you, but can anyone verify this?

I can see for oysters, mussels and other shell fish but what about fish in general? thanks

Edited by awbrig (log)

Suvir i have not heard of this before.  Very Interesting! I do believe you, but can anyone verify this?

Awbrig, when I worked at the Four Seasons we had an old man (Mr. Miller) whose job it was to handle all of the shellfish. First the ice was laid in shallow drain pans and then the oysters were opened just before service and gently nestled in that chipped ice. I say gently because Mr. Miller (a Gnarly 70 year old) would bite your head off if you so much as spilled a drop of the oyster or clam liquor while opening or placing the wee beasts onto the ice.

Nick

I can certainly verify it with respect to oysters. A large proportion of the flavor of an oyster on the half shell comes not from the flesh but from the salt water that remains in the shell. A good shucker will spill the bare minimum of this precious liquid. If you get oysters that look dry, they'll be missing much of their flavor. I have no idea if washing scallops actually affects their flavor, but I've always assumed it would and have therefore never washed them.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Why doesn't someone e-mail Browne Trading and ask about the washing issue? Those guys know everything about fish.

In Chicago, my people tell me this is a top supplier wholesale and retail:

L Isaacson & Stein Fish Co.

800 W Fulton Street

Chicago IL 60607

(312) 421-2444

You'd be crazy to wash opened oysters or clams. I never said I did. The liquid in them is almost as good as the meat. If I bought scallops in the shell I wouldn't wash them either. But I do wash the shells before shucking them. There is no liquor around shelled scallops that have been sitting in a tray on ice at the fish store. And by the time you get them home, and finally cook them, they often are a bit slimy. Fresh and tasty, but a bit slimy. I never heard that this slime adds to the taste. So ease up there and don't read so much into what I didn't say.

But I wouldn't dream of not washing a whole fish I brought home from the fish monger wrapped in paper. Even if I saw him take it live out of the tank, kill it, clean it and scale it, I would still give it a rinse before cooking it.

I suppose you'll tell me you don't rinse chickens when you get them home from the market?

Edited by jaybee (log)

I do not rinse chickens when I get them home from the market.

And as for reading so much into what you didn't say: Welcome to eGullet.