• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts for the cook (2011)

Peter the eater

Thought of another gift for DH. Right now he's using Ove Gloves, but I can't bring myself to trust them, and besides, they're kinda ugly. (I use good old fashioned pot holders like this: http://www.amazon.com/Excello-Terry-Potholder-Black-Set/dp/B003WOJLGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322669106&sr=1-1 - I have a big stack of 'em.)

But for Glove Man, - welding gloves! They even come in our school colors: http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-STALLION-Stick-Welding-Gloves/dp/B002U0X22G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322668832&sr=8-1.

Thanks so much for the idea, ScoopKW! He's going to just :wub: them!

Edited by Special K (log)

The only thing I ever want for Christmas is food.

When it comes to cooking, if I need it, I buy it. So any cooking-related Christmas gift will be either something I already have, or something I don't really need.

But I'll never be unhappy with a hunk of good cheese, a rasher of bacon, some smoked fish, and beer.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

When it comes to cooking, if I need it, I buy it. So any cooking-related Christmas gift will be either something I already have, or something I don't really need.

But I'll never be unhappy with a hunk of good cheese, a rasher of bacon, some smoked fish, and beer.

I already know one of my gifts is going to be a gift cert for IGourmet. I've ordered a lot of good cheese from them and given some to friends who thought ordering cheese online would be chancy. I left the labels on the cheeses (without the prices) so they knew the source and have become regular customers.

I love smoked fish but can't have ocean fish so I get smoked trout from a friend up in Bishop who is willing to trade for some of the homemade goodies I make. Barter is Beautiful.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yessssss! A Niman Ranch gift certificate, some wine with labels of which I won't be ashamed, a pound of turbinado sugar.

Edited to add: Tickets to dinner at Next.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oy. 2 new knees. A back that barks for only half the month. A winning lottery ticket.

But most of all a 3 day party with all my friends and family with everyone bringing a dish they love and made themselves.

World peace. One love. And fried potatoes.

But most of all a 3 day party with all my friends and family with everyone bringing a dish they love and made themselves.

That's a whole new topic. Peace, love and potatoes!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Found another nice stocking stuffer, thanks to Heartsurgeon, here:

Sklips! Who knew I needed them? They're $42 plus shipping for a box of 24 - at six to a person, that works out to 3 gifts for under $15 each, and a set for yourself! :biggrin:

http://www.amazon.com/Sklip-Sheet-Stacking-Rack-System/dp/B004KTYPDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323454964&sr=8-2

I already opened the first gift for the cook (a random coincidence, but still...): the corporate gift frpm one supplier this year was a japanese damascene steel chefs knife. It is razor sharp, and makes the other knives on the magnet look shoddy. NICE - sometimes working in land of web is not so bad :biggrin:

My DH is insisting that we put in a new propane furnace and hot water heater. OK. I said. I want a gas stove and oven. OK. He said. It's a done deal for the spring. But it could count as a Christmas gift.

Tomorrow morning I am stopping at the Mississauga Kitchen Stuff Plus and picking up: a new pastry blender, a little specialized lime juicer, a handled micro-plane and a ruffled chopper.

Got it: blender, juicer, microplane with handle and chopper. And the Homesick Texan purchased in Terre Haute, IN, on the road out west.

Not got it: the gas stove. Be realistic, girl. Next spring if you are lucky.

Next: a bunch of wanted cookbooks from Amazon.com, a food mill (my non-cooking friend took hers back...rats), tortilla warmer, BlenderBottle (amazing toy). That's it for now.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd like Santa to bring me something rather small but I asked for it: the extra fine stone for my Edge Pro Apex.

Santa has already bought me the new pan I wanted. It's for my volunteer cooking for my renaissance faire guild and is also used by others. My 14" 7 qt fry pan got the non-stick finish really messed up by someone who was, shall we say, toasted and borrowed it. Unfortunately I really needed to remember that anything I bring into a shared kitchen (that I don't keep put away just for me) can get ruined.

I'd really like the proper replacement for my Cuisinart food processor pusher. The original one broke so I can still use the bowl and blade but I can't slice or shred. I bought "the correct" replacement online but is wasn't really the right one. I gave up since the replacement parts are way expensice. Fortunately for the shredding I can use the attachment on my KitchenAid mixer but I like the food processor better.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;