• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Heat, In & Out Roasting

Shalmanese

I heard on the Cooking Issues podcast that, apparently, the way they roast meat at Manresa is to constantly pull meat in & out of a 500F oven. The logic behind this is that it provides a large impulse of heat to the surface but low, gentle heat to the interior, leading to a well developed crust but a low temperature gradient.

Has anyone heard anything more about this technique or tried it? The theory seems pretty sound to me and I'm going to attempt it for my next roast.

PS: I am a guy.

Wow! that sounds a pretty effort-intense way of roasting a piece of meat. What kind of timings are you looking at (total time, how long in and out in each cycle)?

Still sounds like it would give you a less perfect result than the "sous-vide and sear" approach and will certainly be a lot more faff.

It sounds somewhat like the Joel Robuchon technique of rotating meat multiple times while roasting it in an oven. This also gets a bit of the rotisserie effect of hot fats flowing from the hotter parts of the meat to the cooler parts and compensates for hot spots in an oven. Not sure whether taking it-and-out of an oven without rotation would work (i.e. the rotation may be the most important part, not the in-and-out).