• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to store wine

ChrisTaylor

I've just started a small wine collection--nothing terribly expensive, but a mix of things I enjoy. Mostly reds from Australia and France, with a few oddities thrown in. Anyway. There's a matter of storage. I don't have a cellar or basement. My house, however, is cool--it has to hit about 40*C outside before I feel the need to even glance in the direction of the air conditioner (of course, when it falls below 15*C outside the house is an ice box). Does it really matter where I set up a little wine rack? Would, say, the inside of a cupboard (i.e. away from light) be superior to the corner of my living room? Are the short-term variations in room temperature caused by heating/air con a problem?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

The one thing to avoid is any area that gets vibrations from machinery, for example on top of a refrigerator. You also want to avoid freezing.

Inside a cupboard away from light is good, just remember to turn the bottles occasionally to keep the corks in good shape.

Consistent temperature is more important than absolute temperature. 13-15 would be great but that could be hard in your climate. I vote for a wine fridge. If your closet can be kept at a consistent temp you would be okay. Warmer temps the wine would age more quickly. Cooler would give you a longer window. But also depends on what wine you like and whether it would benefit from cellar aging or not.

If you are only waiting a few months then a rack in your living room would be fine.

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

keep them where you dont see them often.

otherwise, when at 'their peak' you would have already drunk them

:laugh:

and thats not a joke: i used to collect modest zainfandels from CA eventually some made it to 20 + years

(ravenswood and ridge)

because i always had other wines ready to drink.

pic day-to-day range wines

weekend wines

holiday/sp occasion wines keep these out of site!