• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentino-a huge disaster

Stunned. Two weeks ago my wife and I dined at Valentino. It started early...the waiter announced that there were no menus because of a large party. We were seated right by a large party of obnoxiously loud young punks. Our table was so close to theirs that their waiter kept bumping into me!! Now I would expect a waiter at Applebees to apologize for bumping into me, and move my table or seat us elsewhere. He kept bumping into me over and over, or his butt was literally two inches from my face. My wife hates complaints at restaurants, so I didn't mention it.

The food: I had lobster bisque, had skin on it. A small,dried out piece of lobster in it. We shared eggplant parmigiana which was ok, my wife had ravioli that was dry, too dry. Sauce in the middle was not enough. I had veal that was like breakfast sausage in brown gravy. Food was mediocre, service a disaster, what made it worse was the whole time this old guy stands in the dining room like he's supervising things. He doesn't see the waiter bumping into me??

Edited by Elrushbo (log)

I'm quite surprised you had such an intolerable experience at Valentino. I'm sure that Chef Pellegrini and Mr. Selvaggio would be extremely disappointed that your expectations were not met and they'd want to hear your criticisms. I would bypass the Manager level and direct your frustrations directly to them.